Kent County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Kent County, Maryland Facts
When was Kent County, MD Created?
Kent County was created on December 30, 1637 from unorganized territory .
Kent County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Kent County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Kent County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Kent County, MD Census Records
What Kent County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Kent County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kent Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kent Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kent Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Kent County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Kent County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Kent County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Kent County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Kent County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 103 N. Cross Street, Chestertown, Maryland 21620
- Kent County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 410-778-7460
- Marriage Records: 1648
- Land Records: 1648
- Kent County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (410) 778-7466 or (888) 778-0179
- Probate Records: 1674
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Kent County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Kent County, MD?
A list of Kent County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Historical Society of Kent County, Inc., P. O. Box 665, Geddes Piper House, 101 Church Alley, Chestertown, MD 21620 – 0665, (410) 778-3499
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 275, Easton 21601
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Kent County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kent County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Kent County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Kent County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kent County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.