Salem County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Salem County, New Jersey Facts
When was Salem County, NJ Created?
Salem County was established on May 17, 1694 as one of two original counties created in West Jersey.
Salem County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Salem County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Salem County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Salem County, NJ Census Records
What Salem County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Salem County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Salem Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Salem Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Salem Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Salem County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Salem County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Salem County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Salem County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Salem County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 92 Market Street, Salem, NJ 08079
- Salem County Clerk
- Phone: 856-935-7510
- Land Records: 1766 mortgages /1786 deeds
- Marriage Records:1766
- Salem County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Phone: 856-339-8621
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans’ court minutes /1804 surrogates’ records
- Petitions for guardians
- Old deeds belonging to the Salem County Historical Society
- An old deed, May 31, 1675
- Salem County, New Jersey Genealogical Records
- Salem County wills : recorded in the Office of the Surrogate at Salem, New Jersey : 1831-1860
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Salem County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Salem County, NJ?
A list of Salem County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Salem County Archives and Records Management, 164 Salem, Woodstown Road, Salem, NJ 08079; 856-935-7510 X8550
- Salem County Historical Society, 79-83 Market St., Salem, NJ 08079, (856) 935-5004
- Salem County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 231, Woodstown, NJ 08098
- New Jersey historical material in the public libraries of Salem County : a bibliography, 1609-1876 (search.ancestry.com)
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Salem County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Salem County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Salem County
- Salem County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Salem County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Salem County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.