Camden County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Camden County, New Jersey Facts
When was Camden County, NJ Created?
Camden County was established on March 13, 1844 from Gloucester County.
Camden County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Camden County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Camden County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Camden County, NJ Census Records
What Camden County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Camden County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Camden Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Camden Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Camden Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Camden County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Camden County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Camden County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Camden County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Camden County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 520 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey 08102
- Camden County Clerk
- Phone: (856) 225-5300
- Land Records: 1844
- Marriage Records: 1844
- Camden County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Address: 600 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey 08102
- Phone: (856) 225-7282
- Probate Records: 1844
- Camden County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Camden County, New Jersey marriages : records filed in the office of the county clerk
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Camden County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Camden County, NJ?
A list of Camden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Camden County Historical Society, Park Blvd & Euclid Ave., Camden, NJ 08103-3697; (609) 964-3333
- Fairview Historic Society, 3081 Fenwick Rd., Camden NJ
- Haddonfield Historical Society, 343 Kingshighway East, Haddonfield ; 856-429-7375
- Long-a-coming Historical Society, 59 South White Horse Pike, Berlin, NJ, 08009
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Camden County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Camden County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Camden County
- Camden County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Camden County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Camden County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.