Montgomery County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Montgomery County, Missouri Facts
When was Montgomery County, MO Created?
Montgomery County was created on December 14, 1818 (effective January 1, 1819) from St. Charles County.
What is the County Seat of Montgomery County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Montgomery City and in addition the county government website is unknown
Montgomery County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Montgomery County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Montgomery County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Montgomery County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Montgomery County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Montgomery County, MO Census Records
What Montgomery County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Montgomery County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montgomery Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Montgomery County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Montgomery County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Montgomery County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 E. Third, Montgomery City, MO 63361
- Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-564-3157
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Land Records: 1839
- Montgomery County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 564-3341
- Probate Records:1839
- Court & Divorce Records: ?
- Montgomery County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (573) 564-3357
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Montgomery County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Montgomery County, MO?
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Montgomery Co Genealogical Society, 112 W Second Street, Montgomery City, MO 63361
- Montgomery Co Historical Society, 112 W 2nd Str, Montgomery City, MO 63361; Ph: (573) 564-2370
- Prairie Life Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 52, 300 N 2nd Str, Wellsville, MO 63384; Ph: (573) 648-2743
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Montgomery County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Montgomery County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.