Morgan County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morgan County, Kentucky Facts
When was Morgan County, KY Created?
Morgan County was created on December 7, 1822 from Floyd County and Bath County.
What is the County Seat of Morgan County, KY?
The County Seat is located in West Liberty additionally, the county government website is www.morgancounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Morgan County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Rowan County, Elliott County, Lawrence County, Johnson County, Magoffin County, Wolfe County, Menifee County.
Morgan County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Morgan County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Morgan County, KY Census Records
What Morgan County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morgan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Morgan County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Morgan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Morgan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Morgan County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, KY?
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Morgan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 900; Route 1, West Liberty KY 41472
- Morgan County Public Library, 151 University Drive, West Liberty, KY 41472; (606) 743-4151 - Office
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYMORGAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYMORGAN-HISTORY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky, including its formation. This list is strictly for genealogy/history discussions, chatting about other county-related topics is beyond the scope of the list. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYMorgan-Rooters. A mailing list for anyone with a historic or genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. Surname queries are welcome. To subscribe send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: subscribe
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Morgan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Morgan Co. KY General and History Websites
Morgan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. KY Military Records