Johnson County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Johnson County, Kentucky Facts
When was Johnson County, KY Created?
Johnson County was created on February 24, 1843 from Floyd County, Morgan County and Lawrence County.
What is the County Seat of Johnson County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Paintsville additionally, the county government website is www.johnsoncountyky.com
What counties are adjacent to Johnson County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Lawrence County, Martin County, Floyd County, Magoffin County, Morgan County.
Johnson County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Johnson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Johnson County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Johnson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Johnson County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Johnson County, KY Census Records
What Johnson County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Johnson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Johnson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Johnson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Johnson County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Johnson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Johnson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Johnson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Johnson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Johnson County Clerk
- Address: 230 Court St., Ste 124, Paintsville, KY, 41240
- Phone: (606) 789-2559
- Marriage Records: 1843
- Land Records: 1843
- Probate Records: 1843
- Johnson County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Johnson County Judicial Center, 908 Third St., Suite 109, Paintsville, KY 41240
- Phone: (606) 297-9567
- Court Records: 1843
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Johnson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Johnson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Johnson County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Johnson County, KY?
A list of Johnson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Johnson County Historical & Genealogical Society, 444 Main Street, P.O. Box 788, Paintsville KY 41240
- Van Lear Historical Society, Inc., The Coal Miners' Museum , P.O. Box 369 , Van Lear, KY 41265 ; Phone / FAX: (606) 789-8540 (Please call before faxing)
Where can I connect with other Johnson County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Johnson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Johnson County
- Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYJOHNSO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Johnson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJOHNSON-HISTORY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Johnson County, Kentucky. This list is strictly for genealogy/history discussions, chatting about other county-related topics is beyond the scope of the list. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Johnson County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Johnson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Johnson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Johnson Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Johnson Co. KY General and History Websites
Johnson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Johnson Co. KY Military Records