Greene County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Greene County, Alabama Facts
When was Greene County, AL Created?
Greene County was created on Dec. 13, 1819, from part of the land ceded to the Federal government by the Choctaw Cession of Oct. 24, 1816. and Marengo County and Tuscaloosa County. This particular county was named for Nathanael Greene (1742–1786), general and hero of the American Revolution.
When was Greene County, AL Created?
The first county seat was located at Erie, now in Hale County. In 1838, the county seat was transferred to Eutaw and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Greene County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Dale County (north-northeast), Houston County, Holmes County, Florida, Walton County, Florida, Covington County, Coffee County (north-northwest).
Greene County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Greene County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Greene County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Greene County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Greene County Health Department has Birth Records from 1908, Death records from 1909.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Greene County, AL Census Records
What Greene County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Greene County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Greene Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Greene Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Greene County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Greene County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Greene County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Greene County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1868.
- Greene County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 790, Eutaw, AL 35462-0656
- Phone: (205) 372-3340
- Court Records: 1821
- Divorce Records:
- Greene County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: P.O. Box 656, Eutaw, AL 35462-0656, Phone
- Phone: (205) 372-3349
- Marriage Records: 1823 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1820
- Land Records: 1821
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Greene County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Greene County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Greene County, AL?
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Greene Co. Historical Society, PO Box 746, Eutaw, AL 35462
- ALGREENE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Greene and Hale Counties, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Greene County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greene County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greene County
- Greene County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Greene County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Greene County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.