Coffee County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Coffee County, Alabama Facts
When was Coffee County, AL Created?
Coffee County was created on Dec. 29, 1841, from what had been part of Dale County. This particular county was named in honor of Gen. John Coffee, a hero of the Creek War of 1813-14.
What is the County Seat of Coffee County, AL?
The first county seat was at Wellborn. The county courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1851, and the following year the legislature authorized an election to be held to select another site. The town of Elba, then called Bentonville, was chosen. In addition the county government website is http://www.coffeecounty.us/
Coffee County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Coffee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Coffee County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Coffee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Coffee County Health Department has Birth Records from 1908,Daeth records from 1920.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Coffee County, AL Census Records
What Coffee County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Coffee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Coffee Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Coffee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Coffee County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Coffee County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Coffee County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Coffee County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Coffee County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 230 Court Street, Elba, AL 36323
- Phone: (334) 897-2211
- Court Records: 1811
- Divorce Records:
- Coffee County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 230 Court Street, Elba, AL 36323
- Phone: (334) 897-2211
- Marriage Records: 1866 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1851
- Coffee County USGenWeb Archives Project
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- BLM Land Records
Coffee County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Coffee County, AL?
A list of Coffee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society Museum, Old Railroad Depot, Railroad Street, Enterprise, AL 36330,phone (334) 393-2901, Hours: M-F 10am-3pm, Sat. (Call for Hours) 10am-12am
- Coffee County Courthouse Annex, North Edwards Street, Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone (334) 347-2688
- Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society, 109 Main Street , Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone 334-393-2901, Publication: Pea River Trails
- Enterprise Public Library 101 East Grubbs Avenue, Enterprise, AL 36330, Phone, (334) 347-2636, Hours: M/W/F 9am-:30pm T/Th 9am-7pm Sat. 9am-4pm
- ALCOFFEE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Coffee County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- AL-PRHGS. A mailing list for the members of the Pea River Historical and Genealogical Society located in Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama, to discuss the activities of the Society and individual research efforts related to Coffee County. If you are a member of the Society you can subscribe by sending a message to the List Administrator at [email protected] providing your membership name and requesting that you be added to the list.
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Coffee County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Coffee County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Coffee County
- Coffee County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Coffee County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Coffee County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.