Marengo County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marengo County, Alabama Facts
When was Marengo County, AL Created?
Marengo County was created on Feb. 6, 1818, from land acquired from the Choctaw Indians by the treaty of Oct. 24, 1816.. This particular county was named for Napoleon’s great victory at Marengo over the Austrian armies on June 14, 1800.
What is the County Seat of Marengo County, AL?
The Marengo County Seat was originally known as “Town of Marengo.” In 1823 the name was changed to Linden, a shortened version of “Hohenlinden,” scene of a French victory in Bavaria in 1800. and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Marengo County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Hale County, Perry County, Dallas County, Wilcox County, Clarke County, Choctaw County, Sumter County, Greene County (north-northwest).
Marengo County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Marengo County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marengo County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marengo County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Marengo County, AL Census Records
What Marengo County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Marengo County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marengo Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Marengo Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marengo Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marengo Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Marengo County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Autauga County Courthouse?
What genealogical records can I find in the Marengo County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Marengo County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Marengo County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Marengo County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 101 E. Coats Ave., Linden, AL 36748-1546
- Phone: (334) 295-2210
- Court Records: 1819
- Divorce Records:
- Marengo County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 101 East Coats Avenue, Linden, AL 36748-1546
- Phone: (334) 295-5226
- Marriage Records: 1818 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1820
- Marengo County Health Department has Birth Records from 1881, Death records from 1906.
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Marengo County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Marengo County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marengo County, AL?
A list of Marengo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marengo County Genealogical Society, c/o Demopolis Public Library; 2111 E. Washington Ave, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Marengo County Historical Society, Box 159, Demopolis, AL 36732
- Demopolis Public Library, 334-289-1595
- ALMARENG. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Marengo County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Marengo County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to ALMARENG-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or ALMARENG-Demail@example.com (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Marengo County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marengo County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marengo County
- Marengo County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marengo County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marengo County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.