Newport County, Rhode Island
Genealogy and Facts
Newport County was established on June 22, 1703 as an Original County (originally called Rhode Island County until June 16, 1729). The county was named for the town (now city) of Newport, Wales.
The Newport County Seat is situated in Newport.
Areas adjoining Newport County are Bristol County (north), Bristol County, Massachusetts (east), Washington County (west).
Cities, towns, and villages (Villages are census division, but have no separate corporate existence from the they are in) located in Newport County consists of Jamestown (villages include Beavertail, Cedar Point, Conanicut, Dutch Island, Freebody Hill), Little Compton (villages include Adamsville, Briggs Point, Sakonnet, Tunipus), Middletown (villages include Easton Point, Sachuest, Newport East), Newport (villages include Castle Hill, Coasters Harbor, Coddington Point, Fort Adams, Forty Steps, Goat Island, Ochre Point, Rose Island, Tonomy Hill), Portsmouth (villages include Bristol Ferry, Cedar Island, Common Fence Point, Corey Lane , Despair Island, Dyer Island, Gould Island, Hog Island, Homestead , Hope Island, Hummocks, Island Park, Melville, Patience, Prudence, Quaker Hill), Tiverton (villages include Bridgeport, Eagleville, Fogland Point, Grayville, Nannaquaket, North Tiverton, Tiverton Four Corners.).
Newport County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Newport Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newport Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newport Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Newport County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Newport County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jamestown Historical Society, Post Offcie Box 156, Jamestown, RI, 02835; 401-423-7202
- Little Compton Historical Society, PO Box 577, Little Compton, RI 02837; (401) 635-4035
- Middletown Historical Society, PO Box 4196 Middletown, RI 02840-0496
- Newport Historical Society Headquarters & Resource Center, 82 Touro Street, Newport, RI 02840; Tel (401) 846-0813
- Portsmouth Historical Society, 870 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871; Phone:(401) 683-9178
- Preservation Society of Newport County, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840; TEL: (401) 847-1000
- Newport County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Newport County
- Newport County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Newport County
- USGenWeb Archives for Newport County (usgwarchives.net)
Newport County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Newport County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Newport County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will aid persons in obtaining the materials, however it is up to the particular person to perform the research.
The following details denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are located in Newport County. The years stated listed below are considered the first widely known records in this county.
- Rhode Island Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
- Jamestown was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1678 from Native lands, Conanicut. It has Land Records from 1678, Probate Records from 1678 and Court Records from 1678. Villages include Beavertail, Cedar Point, Conanicut, Dutch Island, Freebody Hill, Gould Island. More info
- Little Compton was established in 1682 and incorporated in 1746 from Plymouth Colony. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include * Adamsville, Briggs Point, Sakonnet, Tunipus
. Became part of Rhode Island in 1747. Earlier records are at Plymouth Colony and Bristol County offices (see Massachusetts). More info
- Middletown was (Town Hall) established in 1639 and incorporated in 1743 from Newport. It has Land Records from 1743, Probate Records from 1743 and Court Records from 1743. Villages include Easton Point, Sachuest. More info
- Newport was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1784 as an Original Town. It has Land Records from 1639, Probate Records from 1639 and Court Records from 1639. Villages include Castle Hill, Coasters Harbor, Coddington Point, Fort Adams, Forty Steps, Goat Island, Ochre Point, Rose Island, Tonomy Hill. Records before 1783 at Newport Historical Society. More info
- New Shoreham was admitted to colony, in 1664 as Block Island (renamed, 1672); established in 1664 and incorporated in 1672. It has Land Records from 1672, Probate Records from 1672 and Court Records from 1672. Villages include Block Island. Part of Newport County until 1963. New Shoreham Town Clerk, Old Town Road, Block Island, RI 02807; Phone: 401-466-3200. More info
- The Town Portsmouth was established in 1638 and incorporated in 1640 as an Original Town. It has Land Records from 1636, Probate Records from 1636 and Court Records from 1636. Villages include Bristol Ferry, Cedar Island, Common Fence Point, Corey Lane, Despair Island, Dyer Island, Gould Island, Hog Island, Homestead, Hope Island, Hummocks, Island Park, Melville, Patience, Prudence, Quaker Hill. Pocasset proprietors’ records are in manuscript form at New Bedford, Massachusetts Public Library. More info
- Tiverton was established in 1694 and incorporated in 1746 from Dartmouth and Freetown, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Bridgeport, Eagleville, Fogland Point, Grayville, Nannaquaket, North Tiverton, Tiverton Four Corners. Earlier records are in the Bristol County offices in Taunton, Massachusetts. More info
Newport County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Newport County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Newport County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Newport Co. RI Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Rhode Island
- Historical Newspapers from Rhode Island (1732–1921) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million publications, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and also other items printed in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. All new articles and other content added each month!
- Newport Daily News (Newport, Rhode Island) (search.ancestry.com)
- Newport Mercury (Newport, Rhode Island) (search.ancestry.com)
- Newport Mercury And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island) (search.ancestry.com)
- Newport Navalog (Newport, Rhode Island) (search.ancestry.com)
- Newport Journal And Weekly News (Newport, Rhode Island) (search.ancestry.com)
- Newport County, Rhode Island Books (amazon.com)
- Search Rhode Island Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Rhode Island Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Newport County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Newport Co. RI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Newport Co. RI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Newport Co. RI Census Records
Newport Co. RI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Newport Co. RI Church & Bible Records
Newport Co. RI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Newport Co. RI General and History Websites
Newport Co. RI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Newport Co. RI Military Records
Newport Co. RI Schools & Directories