Washington County, Rhode Island
Washington County was established on June 3, 1729 from part of Providence Plantations
The Washington County Seat is situated in Wakefield.
Areas adjoining Washington County are Windham County, Connecticut, Kent County, Bristol County, New London County, Connecticut, Newport County, Suffolk County, New York, Dukes County, Massachusetts.
Washington County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Washington County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Washington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charlestown Historical Society, P.O. Box 100, 4417B Old Post Road, Charlestown, RI 02813; 401-364-1838
- Hopkinton Historical Society, PO Box 475, Ashaway, RI 02804; TEL: (401) 337-2219
- Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, Old Washington County Jail, 2636 Kingstown Road, Kingston, RI 02881; TEL: (401) 783-1328
- Rhode Island Labor History Society, 36 Upper College Rd. Hart House, Kingston RI 02881
- Richmond Historical Society, Clark Memorial Library, Junction Rtes. 138 & 112, Richmond, RI 02898; TEL: (401) 539-7676
- Westerly Historical Society, P.O. Box 91, Westerly, RI 02891
- Washington County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Washington County (usgwarchives.net)
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Washington County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Washington County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Washington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Washington County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Washington Co. RI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. RI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. RI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. RI Census Records
Washington Co. RI Cemeteries & Church Records
- Rhode Island Cemetery Research Guide
- A copy of the old epitaphs in the burying ground of Block Island, R.I. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions on the grave-stones in the old churchyard of St. Paul's Narragansett : North Kingstown, Rhode Island : with a rec (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington Co., Rhode Island Graves (findagrave.com)
- Washington County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Washington Co., Rhode Island Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Washington County, Rhode Island
- Washington Co., Rhode Island Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Rhode Island Church & Bible Research Guide
- History of the Episcopal Church in Narragansett, Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- The first hundred years : Pawcatuck Seventh Day Baptist Church, Westerly, Rhode Island, 1840-1940. (search.ancestry.com)
- Dedication of Ministers' Monument : Aug. 28, 1899. (search.ancestry.com)
- A dying Narragansett church (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical sketch of the Baptist Church in Exeter, Rhode Island (Chestnut Hill) (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Washington County, Rhode Island
- Washington County, Rhode Island Church Books (amazon.com)
Washington Co. RI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. RI General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Rhode Island
- Washington County, Rhode Island Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The early history of Narragansett : with an appendix of original documents, many of which are now for the first time published (search.ancestry.com)
- Westerly (Rhode Island) and its witnesses : for two hundred and fifty years, 1626-1876 : including Charlestown, Hopkinton, and (search.ancestry.com)
- South county studies : of some eighteenth century persons, places & conditions in that portion of Rhode Island called Narragans (search.ancestry.com)
- Anchors of tradition : a presentment of some little known facts and persons in a small corner of colonial New England called Na (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical sketch of the town of Hopkinton (search.ancestry.com)
- Opening of the Hazard Memorial (search.ancestry.com)
- Some papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island : during the years 1940-1954. (search.ancestry.com)
- Four papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island : during the years 1915, 1916, and a lis (search.ancestry.com)
- Three papers delivered before the Westerly Historical Society of Westerly, Rhode Island during the years 1913 to 1915 (search.ancestry.com)
- The old court house at Kingston where the legislature used to meet when it held sessions in Washington County (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Rhode Island Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Washington Co. RI Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Washington County, Rhode Island (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Rhode Island - Counties - Washington (cyndislist.com)
- Washington County Rhode Island (genealogytrails.com)
- Washington Co. RIGenweb (theusgenweb.org)
- Washington County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Washington Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Washington Co. RI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. RI Military Records
Washington Co. RI Schools & Directories