Preble County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Preble County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Preble Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Preble County was created on March 1, 1808 from Butler County and Montgomery County. This county was named for Captain Edward Preble (1761-1807), a Naval commander in the Revolutionary War .
The Preble County Seat is located in Eaton also, the county government website is www.prebco.org/ .
Areas bordering to Preble County are Darke County (north), Montgomery County (east), Butler County (south), Union County, Indiana (southwest), Wayne County, Indiana (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Preble County include Eaton, College Corner, Camden, Eldorado, Gratis, Lewisburg, New Paris, Verona, West Alexandria, West Elkton, West Manchester. Other communities include Include Fairhaven.
Preble County Townships include Dixon, Gasper, Gratis, Harrison, Israel, Jackson, Jefferson, Lanier, Monroe, Somers, Twin, Washington..
Preble County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Preble Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preble Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preble Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Preble County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Preble County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Preble County Chapter, OGS, 450 S. Baron St., Eaton, OH 45320-1705; Preble County Chapter, OGS meets at the Library on the second Saturday at 1:30pm (call first). This OGS Chapter's collection is comprised of materials owned by the library, the historical society, the chapter, and the Clerk of Courts and Probate departments in the courthouse. Monthly meetings are held in the Preble County District Library at the address above.
- Preble County Historical Society, 7693 Swartsel Rd, Eaton, OH 45320-9437; Phone: (937) 787-4256; The Preble County Historical Society established the Historical Center in 1974 on 223 donated acres. Included on the property is a 19th-century farmstead. Both the land and the building are used as an area cultural and educational resource center. The 1813 Lewisburg Log House was moved to the center in 1975 and the 1860's Sayler-Swartsel House reflects both Greek and Gothic styles.
- Lewisburg Historical Society, 6318 Depot Ln, Lewisburg, OH 45338-6738; Phone: (937) 962-2493
- Preble County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Preble County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Preble County
- Preble County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Preble County
Preble County Courthouse and Government Records
Preble County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Preble County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Preble County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Preble County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Preble County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 East Main St. , Eaton 45320
- Phone: (937) 456-8160
- Preble County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1808
- Preble County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (937) 456-8173
- Land Records: 1805
- Preble County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (937) 456-8165
- Court Records: 1808
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Preble County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Preble County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Preble County genealogy or family history related sites.
Preble Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Preble Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Preble Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Preble Co. OH Census Records
Preble Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Preble Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Preble Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Preble Co. OH General and History Websites
Preble Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Preble Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Preble Co. OH Military Records