Wayne County, Indiana
Wayne County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Wayne Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Wayne County was founded on November 27, 1810 from Clark County, Dearborn County and Knox County (made effective February 1, 1811). This county was named for Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
The Wayne County Seat is located in Richmond also, the county government website is www.co.wayne.in.us/ .
Counties bordering Wayne County are Randolph County (north), Darke County, Ohio (northeast), preble County, Ohio (east), Union County (south), Fayette County (southwest), Henry County (west).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Wayne County include Boston, Cambridge City, Centerville, Dublin, East Germantown, Economy, Fountain City, Greens Fork, Hagerstown, Milton, Mount Auburn, Richmond, Spring Grove, Whitewater.
Townships located in Wayne County include Abington, Boston, Center, Clay, Dalton, Franklin, Green, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, New Garden, Perry, Washington, Wayne, Webster.
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Application to mail.
Wayne County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wayne County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana (raogk.org)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County Historian, Carolyn Lafever, 102 Orchard St., Cambridge City, IN 47327; Phone: (765) 478-5251
- Wayne County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 2599, Richmond, IN 47375-2599
- Wayne County Historical Society and Museum, 1150 N. A St., Richmond, IN 47374-3298; Phone: (765) 962-5756
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1220 S High School Road, Indianapolis 46241
- Abington Historical Society, 6384 N. Abington Rd., Brownsville, IN 47325
- Clay Township Historical & Preservation Society, P.O. Box 5, Greens Fork, IN 47345-0005; Phone: (765) 886-5166
- Hagerstown Museum and Arts Place, P.O. Box 126, Hagerstown, IN 47346-0126; Phone: (765) 489-4005
- Historic Centerville, P.O. Box 73, Centerville, IN 47330-0073; Phone: (765) 855-2946
- Wayne County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wayne County
- USGenWeb Archives for Wayne County
Wayne County Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Wayne County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Wayne County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Wayne County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 301 East Main Street, Richmond, IN 47374-4200
- Phone: (765) 973-9224
- Marriage Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1812
- Court Records: 1811
- Wayne County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 401 East Main Street Richmond, IN 47374
- Phone: (765) 973-9235
- Land Records: 1816
- Wayne County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Wayne County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
- Address: 201 E. Main St., Richmond, IN 47374-4288
- Phone: 765-973-9245
- Birth & Death Records: 1882
Wayne County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Wayne County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Wayne County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wayne Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wayne Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wayne Co. IN Census Records
Wayne Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wayne Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Wayne Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. IN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Indiana
- Wayne County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mil (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical history of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana : from its first settlement to the present time, with numerous biographical and family sketche (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Wayne County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Wayne Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Wayne County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wayne Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wayne County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Wayne (cyndislist.com)
- Wayne County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Wayne Co. INGenweb (pasttracker.com)
- Wayne County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wayne Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wayne Co. IN Military Records
Wayne Co. IN Schools & Directories