Wayne County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wayne County, Indiana Facts
When was Wayne County, IN Created?
Wayne County was established on November 27, 1810 from Clark County, Dearborn County and Knox County (made effective February 1, 1811). This county was named for Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Wayne County, IN?
The County Seat is located in Richmond also, the county government website is www.co.wayne.in.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Wayne County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Randolph County, Darke County, Ohio, preble County, Ohio, Union County, Fayette County, Henry County.
What cities and towns are in Wayne County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Boston, Cambridge City, Centerville, Dublin, East Germantown, Economy, Fountain City, Greens Fork, Hagerstown, Milton, Mount Auburn, Richmond, Spring Grove, Whitewater.
What Townships are in Wayne County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Abington, Boston, Center, Clay, Dalton, Franklin, Green, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, New Garden, Perry, Washington, Wayne, Webster.
Wayne County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Wayne County Department of Health, 201 E. Main St., Richmond, IN 47374-4288 ; Phone: 765-973-9245 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- Wayne County, Indiana Death Records Index, 1882-1920
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Wayne County, IN Census Records
What Wayne County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Wayne County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wayne County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Wayne County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 301 East Main Street, Richmond, IN 47374-4200
- Phone: (765) 973-9224
- Marriage Records: 1811
- Probate Records: 1812
- Court Records: 1811
- Wayne County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 401 East Main Street Richmond, IN 47374
- Phone: (765) 973-9235
- Land Records: 1816
- Wayne County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, IN?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Wayne County Historian, Carolyn Lafever, 102 Orchard St., Cambridge City, IN 47327; Phone: (765) 478-5251
- Wayne County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 2599, Richmond, IN 47375-2599
- Wayne County Historical Society and Museum, 1150 N. A St., Richmond, IN 47374-3298; Phone: (765) 962-5756
- Wayne Township Historical Society, 1220 S High School Road, Indianapolis 46241
- Abington Historical Society, 6384 N. Abington Rd., Brownsville, IN 47325
- Clay Township Historical & Preservation Society, P.O. Box 5, Greens Fork, IN 47345-0005; Phone: (765) 886-5166
- Hagerstown Museum and Arts Place, P.O. Box 126, Hagerstown, IN 47346-0126; Phone: (765) 489-4005
- Historic Centerville, P.O. Box 73, Centerville, IN 47330-0073; Phone: (765) 855-2946
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Wayne Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
Wayne Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. IN General and History Websites
- Wayne County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mil (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical history of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana : from its first settlement to the present time, with numerous biographical and family sketche (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Wayne County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Wayne County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Wayne Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Wayne County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wayne Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wayne County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Wayne (cyndislist.com)
- Wayne County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Wayne Co. INGenweb (pasttracker.com)
- Wayne County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wayne Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wayne Co. IN Military Records
Wayne Co. IN Schools & Directories