Butler County, Ohio
Butler County was created on May 1, 1803 from Hamilton County. This county was named for General Richard Butler (1743-1791), killed at the Battle of the Wabash.
The Butler County Seat is located in Hamilton also, the county government website is www.butlercountyohio.org .
Areas bordering to Butler County are Preble County (north), Montgomery County (northeast), Warren County (east), Hamilton County (south), Dearborn County, Indiana (southwest), Franklin County, Indiana (west), Union County, Indiana (northwest)
Cities and towns located in Butler County include Fairfield, Hamilton, Middletown, Monroe, Oxford, Sharonville, Trenton, College Corner, Jacksonburg, Millville, New Miami, Seven Mile, Somerville. Other communities include Alert, Bethany, Blue Ball, Collinsville, Heno, Mauds, McGonigle, Okeana, Overpeck, Poasttown, Port Union, Scipio, Shandon, Woodsdale.
Butler County Townships include Fairfield, Hanover, Lemon, Liberty, Madison, Milford, Morgan, Oxford, Reily, Ross, St. Clair, Wayne, West Chester.
Butler County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Butler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Butler County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Butler Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Butler County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Butler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Butler County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2011, Middletown, OH 45044-2011; meetings are held the second Saturday of every month except July and August in the Middletown, OH Public Library, starting at 10:00am, 125 S. Broad St., Middletown, OH. This OGS Chapter meets at the Middletown Public Library, 125 South Broad Street in Middletown on the second Saturday of each month except July and August. The Library has an Ohio Room available for research.
- Butler County Historical Society, 327 N 2nd St, Hamilton, OH 45011-1651; Phone: (513) 896-9930; The Butler County Historical Society makes the heritage of Butler County more accessible to the public through its museum and outreach programs. Archival holdings are open to genealogists and local historians. Diverse artifacts and period furnishings are exhibited in the Benninghofen House Museum. This High-Italianate style house reflects the Gilded Age, when Hamilton served as an industrial center.
- Historic Hamilton, 319 N 3rd St, Hamilton, OH 45011-1624; Phone: (513) 863-1389; Historic Hamilton operates as a local preservation group that includes representatives from local historic districts as well as the city of Hamilton at large. Located in a historic octagonal house, the museum is listed on the National Register.
- Historical Society of Madison Township, 6120 Hursh Rd, Middletown, OH 45042; Phone: (513) 423-4132; The Historical Society of Madison Township is an organization for the preservation of township history, no permanent site, log cabin restoration in process.
- Historical Society of the Fairfield Area, 2198 Rolling Hills Blvd, Fairfield, OH 45014-3759; Phone: (513) 858-2411; The Historical Society of the Fairfield Area's purpose is to preserve the history of the area.
- Delta Zeta National Historical Museum, 202 E Church St, Oxford, OH 45056-1320; Phone: (513) 523-7597; Located in a Victorian house, the Delta Zeta National Historical Museum acquires and preserves historical collections relevant to the Delta Zeta
- Butler County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Butler County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Butler County
- Butler County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Butler County
Butler County Courthouse and Government Records
Butler County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Butler County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Butler County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Butler County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Butler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 High St., Hamilton 45011-2732
- Phone: (513) 887-3767
- Butler County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (513)887-3294
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1851
- Butler County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 130 High Street, Hamilton, Ohio 45011
- Phone: 513.887.3192
- Land Records: 1803
- Butler County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 135 High Street, 3rd floor, Hamilton, Ohio 45011
- Phone: 513-785-6550 Fax: 513-785-5719
- Court Records: 1803
- The Butler County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Butler County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Butler County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Butler County genealogy or family history related sites.
Butler Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Butler Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Butler Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Butler Co. OH Census Records
Butler Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Butler Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Butler Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Butler Co. OH General and History Websites
Butler Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Butler Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Butler Co. OH Military Records