Clinton County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Clinton County was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Warren County. This county was named for George Clinton (1739-1812), vice-president when the county was organized.
The Clinton County Seat is located in Wilmington also, the county government website is co.clinton.oh.us .
Areas bordering to Clinton County are Greene County (north), Fayette County (northeast), Highland County (southeast), Brown County (south), Clermont County (southwest), Warren County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Clinton County include Wilmington, Blanchester, Clarksville, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Midland, New Vienna, Port William, Sabina. . Other communities include Cuba, Reesville.
Clinton County Townships include Adams, Chester, Clark, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Marion, Richland, Union, Vernon, Washington, Wayne, Wilson.
Clinton County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clinton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Clinton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clinton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Clinton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clinton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 529, Wilmington, OH 45177-0529, Clinton County Chapter, OGS meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Genealogical Society's holdings are maintained by the Clinton County Historical Society and include approximately 1,500 books and pamphlets on genealogy.
- Clinton County Historical Society,
PO Box 529 Wilmingto=8632356n, OH 45177-0529; Phone: (937) 382-4684; meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Historical Society and Museum is committed to the discovery, collection, and preservation of the county's culture and history. Rombach Place Museum-home of General James W. Denver, Eli Harvey paintings & sculpture; county artifacts. Sara Rose Museum-lifestyle museum reflecting culture and lifestyle of one family from 1896 to 2000.
- Blanchester Area Historical Society , 206 W Main St, Blanchester, OH 45107-1134; Phone: (937) 783-4132; The Blanchester Area Historical Society offers monthly meetings with local history programs, a genealogy and reference library with obituary files and "The Star Republican" local newspaper. It also offers exhibits of local history, post cards, local cabinetmakers, school items, local artists and authors, and scrapbooks on local events and people.
- Wilmington College Archives & Quaker College, Pyle 122, 1870 Quaker Way, Wilmington, OH 45177-0674; Phone: (937) 382-6661; The Wilmington College Archives and Quaker Collection contain the official records of the Wilmington and Ohio Valley Yearly Meetings of the Society of Friends (or Quakers) and of Wilmington College.
- Clinton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clinton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clinton County
- Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clinton County
Clinton County Courthouse and Government Records
Clinton County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Clinton County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Clinton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Clinton County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Clinton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 46 S. South St., Wilmington 45177-2214
- Phone: (937) 382-2103 or 382-3543
- Clinton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 937-382-2280
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1810
- Clinton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 937.382.2067
- Land Records: 1806
- Clinton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-382-2316
- Court Records: 1810
- The Clinton County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Clinton County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clinton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Clinton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clinton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clinton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clinton Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clinton Co. OH Census Records
Clinton Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clinton Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Clinton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clinton Co. OH General and History Websites
Clinton Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Clinton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clinton Co. OH Military Records