Clinton County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Clinton County, Ohio Facts
When was Clinton County, OH Created?
Clinton County was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Warren County. This county was named for George Clinton (1739-1812), vice-president when the county was organized.
What is the County Seat of Clinton County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Wilmington also, the county government website is co.clinton.oh.us .
What counties are adjacent to Clinton County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Greene County (north), Fayette County (northeast), Highland County (southeast), Brown County (south), Clermont County (southwest), Warren County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Clinton County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Wilmington, Blanchester, Clarksville, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Midland, New Vienna, Port William, Sabina. . Other communities include Cuba, Reesville.
What townships are in Clinton County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Adams, Chester, Clark, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Marion, Richland, Union, Vernon, Washington, Wayne, Wilson.
Clinton County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Clinton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clinton County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clinton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Clinton County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Clinton County, OH Census Records
What Clinton County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Clinton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clinton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Clinton County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Clinton County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Clinton County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Clinton County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Clinton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 46 S. South St., Wilmington 45177-2214
- Phone: (937) 382-2103 or 382-3543
- Clinton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 937-382-2280
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1810
- Clinton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 937.382.2067
- Land Records: 1806
- Clinton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-382-2316
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Clinton County USGenWeb Archives Project
Clinton County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Clinton County, OH?
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Clinton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 529, Wilmington, OH 45177-0529, Clinton County Chapter, OGS meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Genealogical Society's holdings are maintained by the Clinton County Historical Society and include approximately 1,500 books and pamphlets on genealogy.
- Clinton County Historical Society,
PO Box 529 Wilmingto=8632356n, OH 45177-0529; Phone: (937) 382-4684; meets at the Clinton County Historical Society, 149 East Locust Street, Wilmington, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30pm. There is no December meeting. The Clinton County Historical Society and Museum is committed to the discovery, collection, and preservation of the county's culture and history. Rombach Place Museum-home of General James W. Denver, Eli Harvey paintings & sculpture; county artifacts. Sara Rose Museum-lifestyle museum reflecting culture and lifestyle of one family from 1896 to 2000.
- Blanchester Area Historical Society , 206 W Main St, Blanchester, OH 45107-1134; Phone: (937) 783-4132; The Blanchester Area Historical Society offers monthly meetings with local history programs, a genealogy and reference library with obituary files and "The Star Republican" local newspaper. It also offers exhibits of local history, post cards, local cabinetmakers, school items, local artists and authors, and scrapbooks on local events and people.
- Wilmington College Archives & Quaker College, Pyle 122, 1870 Quaker Way, Wilmington, OH 45177-0674; Phone: (937) 382-6661; The Wilmington College Archives and Quaker Collection contain the official records of the Wilmington and Ohio Valley Yearly Meetings of the Society of Friends (or Quakers) and of Wilmington College.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Clinton County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Clinton County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clinton County.
Clinton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clinton Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Clinton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clinton Co. OH General and History Websites
Clinton Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Clinton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clinton Co. OH Military Records