Otsego County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Otsego County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Otsego Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Otsego County was created on February 16, 1791 from Montgomery County. This particular county was named for a Native American word meaning "place of the rock" .
The Otsego County Seat can be found in Cooperstown and in addition the county government website is otsegocounty.com
Regions neighboring Otsego County include Herkimer County (north), Montgomery County (northeast), Schoharie County (east), Delaware County (south), Chenango County (southwest), Oneida County (northwest), Madison County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Otsego County consists of Oneonta, Burlington, Butternuts, Cherry Valley, Decatur, Edmeston, Exeter, Hartwick, Laurens, Maryland, Middlefield, Milford, Morris, New Lisbon, Oneonta, Otego, Otsego, Pittsfield, Plainfield, Richfield, Roseboom, Springfield, Unadilla, Westford, Worcester. Villages include Cherry Valley, Cooperstown, Gilbertsville, Laurens, Milford, Morris, Otego, Richfield Springs, Unadilla.
Otsego County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Otsego Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Otsego Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Otsego Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Otsego County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Otsego County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Otsego County Repositories, 11 Ford Avenue, Oneonta, NY 13820, Phone: 800–895–1648
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Town of Middlefield Historical Association, PO Box 348, Cooperstown, NY 13326
- Huntington Memorial Library, 62 Chestnut Street, Oneonta, New York 13820, Phone: 607-432-1980; Huntington Memorial Library is an authorized branch of the Family History Library of the Genealogical Society of Utah.
Patrons may borrow genealogical and historical materials on microfilm from the Family History Library. The Library holds over two million rolls of microfilm containing copies of original records from around the world.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Otsego County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Otsego County
- Otsego County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Otsego County
- USGenWeb Archives for Otsego County (usgwarchives.net)
Otsego County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Otsego County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Otsego County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Otsego County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Otsego County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 197 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Otsego County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 607-547-4276
- Land Records: 1791 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1791
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Otsego County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: 607–547–4213
- Probate Records: 1791 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Otsego County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Otsego County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 185 Tuscan Road, Worcester, NY 12197
- Phone: 607-397-9705
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Otsego County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Otsego County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Otsego County genealogy or family history related sites.
Otsego Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Otsego Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Otsego Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Otsego Co. NY Census Records
Otsego Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Otsego Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Otsego Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Otsego Co. NY General and History Websites
Otsego Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Otsego Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Otsego Co. NY Military Records
Otsego Co. NY Schools & Directories