Schoharie County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Schoharie County, New York Facts
Schoharie County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Schoharie County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Schoharie County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Schoharie County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Schoharie County, NY Census Records
What Schoharie County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Schoharie County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Schoharie Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schoharie Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schoharie Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Schoharie County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Schoharie County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Schoharie County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Schoharie County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Schoharie County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 290 Main Street, Schoharie, NY 12157
- Schoharie County Clerk
- Address: 248 Main Street, PO Box 549, Schoharie, NY 12157
- Phone: 518.295.8316
- Land Records: 1795
- Court Records: 1795
- Schoharie County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (518) 295-8387
- Probate Records: 1795
- Schoharie County Historian
- Address: PO Box 732, Middleburgh, NY 12122
- Phone: ?
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Schoharie County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Schoharie County, NY?
A list of Schoharie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Schoharie County Historical Society, 145 Fort Road, Schoharie NY 12157 , Phone: 518.295.7192 ; The Schoharie County Historical Society maintains the Old Stone Fort Museum Complex and the Old Stone Fort Library. Weathervane, the society’s monthly newsletter, and the bi-yearly Historical Review.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Old Stone Fort Library, 145 Fort Road, Schoharie, NY 12157, Phone: 518.295.7192 ; Cemetery indexes, Censuses, Church Records, Directories, Military Records, Newspapers and Obituaries, Will Abstracts, and more. The Library is maintained by the Scoharie County Historical Society and is part of the Old Stone Fort Museum Complex. The Library is open regularly May through October and by appointment November through April.The library also accepts Genealogy Requests.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Schoharie County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Schoharie County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Schoharie County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Schoharie County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Schoharie County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.