Erie County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Erie County, New York Facts
When was Erie County, NY Created?
Erie County was created on April 2, 1821 and formed from Niagara County.
What is the County Seat of Erie County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Buffalo and in addition the county government website is www.erie.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Erie County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Niagara County, Wyoming County, Genesee County, Cattaraugus County, Chautauqua County .
Erie County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Erie County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Erie County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Erie County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Erie County, NY Census Records
What Erie County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Erie County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Erie Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Erie County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Erie County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Erie County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Erie County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Erie County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Erie County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Erie County, NY?
A list of Erie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Erie County,New York Town Historians, Historical Societies and Historical Museums
- Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, 25 Nottingham Court, Buffalo, NY 14216, 716-873-9644
- Buffalo & Western Ny Italian Genealogy Society, 171 Fowler Street, Kenmore 14217-1503
- Buffalo Genealogical Society Of The African Diaspora, Buffalo
- Buffalo and Erie County Library, Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203, 716-858-8900
- Erie County Historical Federation, 11 Danforth Street, Chektowaga, NY 14227
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, N.Y. 14075-0338
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Rough list of manuscripts in the library of the Buffalo Historical Society (search.ancestry.com)
- Grosvenor Room Genealogy, Buffalo and Erie County Public Library, Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY 14203, (716) 858-8900
- Western New York Genealogical Society Library, Hamburg Historical Society Museum, 5859 South Park Avenue, Rt. 62, Hamburg, NY
- E. H. Butler Library, Archives and Special Collections, Buffalo State College, 1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222, Phone: (716) 878-6300, Archivist Phone: (716) 878-6308
- Rev. J. Clayton Murray, S.J., Archives & Special Collections, Andrew L. Bouwhuis Library, Canisius College, 2001 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14208-1098, Phone: 716-888-8406
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Erie County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Erie County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Erie County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Erie Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Erie Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Hamburg, New York, Prospect Lawn Cemetery Index, 1850-1950 (search.ancestry.com)
- Gravestone inscriptions from cemeteries in Erie County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Erie Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Erie County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Erie Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Erie Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Erie County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Erie Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Erie Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Erie County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Mortality in retail trade : a statistical analysis of entrances into and exits from the retail grocery, drug, hardware, and sho (search.ancestry.com)
- Pamphlets and books printed in Buffalo prior to 1850 : being a supplement to the list compiled by Dr. F.H. Severance and publis (search.ancestry.com)
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Municipality of Buffalo, New York : a history, 1720-1923 (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a descriptive work on Erie County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the city of Buffalo and Erie County : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the original town of Concord : being the present towns of Concord, Collins, N. Collins and Sardinia, Erie County, Ne (search.ancestry.com)
- Erie County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Erie Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Erie County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Erie (cyndislist.com)
- Erie County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Erie Co. NYGenweb (usgennet.org)
- Erie County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Erie Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Erie Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Erie Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Erie Co. NY Military Records
- New York Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Records of solders and officers in the military service, Brant, N.Y., 1865 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- New York Civil War Records (1861-65) (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Military Records (Fold3.com) provides easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the New York both women and men who served. Perfect for Erie County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Erie Co. NY Schools & Directories