Niagara County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Niagara County, New York Facts
When was Niagara County, NY Created?
Niagara County was created on March 11, 1818 from Genesee County.
What is the County Seat of Niagara County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Lockport and in addition the county government website is www.niagaracounty.com/
What counties are adjacent to Niagara County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Orleans County, Genesee County, Erie County, Province of Ontario, Lake Ontario.
Niagara County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Niagara County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Niagara County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Niagara County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Niagara County, NY Census Records
What Niagara County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Niagara County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880
(free index), 1890
(fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Niagara Co.
Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Niagara Co.
Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Niagara County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Niagara County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Niagara County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Niagara County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Niagara County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Records for the period 1813—21 are in Buffalo, which was the county seat of Niagara until Erie was created; earlier records were destroyed when the British burned the Buffalo courthouse in 1813.
Niagara County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Niagara County, NY?
A list of Niagara County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Niagara County Genealogical Society, 215 Lockport Street, Lockport NY 14094-2605;
716-433-1033; The Niagara County Genealogical Library is located on the second floor of the Niagara County Historical Society Museum. Access to the collection is free to both members and non-members of the society. It includes many unpublished genealogies and manuscripts, 2000 books, cemetery records, census records, city directories, DAR books, maps, atlases and a vertical file. Record holdings relate to Niagara County, other New York Counties, New England, Pennsylvania, and Ontario, Canada. Those who can not personally travel to the research library are invited to join the society and use the look-up service.
- Niagara County Historical Society, Inc., 215 Niagara Street, Lockport, NY 14094; (716) 434-7433
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- St Catharines Ontario Canada Family History Center, 351 Glenridge Avenue, St Catharines, Ontario L2T 3K6, Canada, 1-905-685-5795
- Buffalo New York Family History Center, 1424 Maple Rd, Williamsville, New York 14221, 1-716-688-2439
- Niagara County Community College Library Special Collections, Henrietta G. Lewis Library, Fourth Floor, 3111 Saunders Settlement Rd, Sanborn NY 14132, 716-731-3271 ext. 401; Native America Collection includes reference books, biography, history, and tribes.
Periodicals: Native Peoples, Journal of Cherokee Studies, Northeast Indian Quarterly, Akwekon Journal, Turtle Quarterly, Southern Indian Studies
- Nioga Library System, 6575 Wheeler Rd, Lockport NY 14094, 716-434-6167
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Niagara County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Niagara County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Niagara County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Niagara Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Niagara Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Niagara Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Niagara Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Niagara County, New York Wikipedia
- Biographical and portrait cyclopedia of Niagara County, New York
- Guide Niagara : falls, river, frontier : scenic, botanic, electric, historic, geologic, hydraulic
- The streets of Lockport
- The first guides to Niagara Falls
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties
- Anthology and bibliography of Niagara Falls
- Niagara County, New York, one hundred of the most wonderful regions in the world : a concise record of her progress and people,
- Niagara power : history of the Niagara Falls power company, 1886-1918 : evolution of its central power station and alternating
- Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
- Niagara County, New York Wiki
- Niagara Co. NY Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Niagara County, New York
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Niagara
- Niagara County New York
- Niagara Co. NYGenweb
- Niagara County Genealogy Queries
- Niagara Co. Data Collections
Niagara Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Niagara Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Niagara Co. NY Military Records
Niagara Co. NY Schools & Directories