OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Orleans County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Orleans County, New York Facts
When was Orleans County, NY Created?
Orleans County was created on November 11, 1824 from Genesee County.
What is the County Seat of Orleans County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Albion and in addition the county government website is orleansny.com/
What counties are adjacent to Orleans County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Lake Ontario and Canada, Monroe County, Genesee County, Niagara County.
Orleans County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Orleans County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orleans County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orleans County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Orleans County, NY Census Records
What Orleans County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Orleans County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Orleans County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Orleans County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Orleans County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Orleans County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Orleans County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Square, 1 South Main Street, Albion, NY 14411-1497
- Orleans County Clerk
- Phone: 585-589-5334
- Land Records: 1824
- Court Records: 1824
- Orleans County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 26 E. State Street, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4457
- Probate Records: 1824
- Orleans County Historian
- Address: 3070 Gaines Basin Road, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4174
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Orleans County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orleans County, NY?
A list of Orleans County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Orleans County Genealogical Society, Albion Town Hall, 3665 Clarendon Road, PO Box 103, Albion NY 14411
- Orleans County Historical Association, P.O. Box 181, Albion NY 14411
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Brockport New York Family History Center, 4088 Lake Rd, Brockport, New York, 1-585-637-2030
- Rochester New York Family History Center, 1400 Westfall Rd, Rochester, New York 14618, 1-585-271-5040
- Buffalo New York Family History Center, 1424 Maple Rd, Williamsville, New York 14221, 1-716-688-2439
- Nioga Library System, 6575 Wheeler Rd, Lockport NY 14094, 716-434-6167
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Orleans County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orleans County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Orleans County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Orleans County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Orleans Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- New York Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- New York historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 – 1992) (genealogybank.com)
- Orleans County, New York Books (amazon.com)
- Search New York Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Orleans Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide
- Orleans Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Orleans County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Orleans Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Orleans Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Orleans Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- New York Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Orleans Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Orleans County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Landmarks of Orleans County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of the village of Albion : containing incidents of its history and progress from its first settlement and a statistica (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Clarendon from 1810 to 1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical album of Orleans County, N.Y. : with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, private residences, public buildings, (search.ancestry.com)
- Record of the Orleans County Pioneer Association : original minutes, 1858 to 1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orleans County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – New York – Counties – Orleans (cyndislist.com)
- Orleans County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Orleans Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orleans Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for New York
- New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 (familysearch.org)
- Early New York Naturalizations (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of New York Links and Information
- 1895 Orleans County Map (livgenmi.com)
Orleans Co. NY Military Records
- New York Military Records Research Guide
- New York, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (familysearch.org)
- New York Civil War Records (1861-65) (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Military Records (Fold3.com) provides easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the New York both women and men who served. Perfect for Orleans County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Orleans Co. NY Schools & Directories
- Orleans County, New York Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Gazetteer and business directory of Orleans County, N.Y. for 1869 (search.ancestry.com)