Chautauqua County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chautauqua County, New York Facts
When was Chautauqua County, NY Created?
Chautauqua County was created on March 11, 1808 from Genesee County.
Chautauqua County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chautauqua County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chautauqua County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chautauqua County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Chautauqua County, NY Census Records
What Chautauqua County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chautauqua County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chautauqua Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chautauqua Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chautauqua Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chautauqua County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chautauqua County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chautauqua County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chautauqua County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chautauqua County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 3 North Erie, Mayville, NY 14757-1007
- Chautauqua County Clerk
- Address: 1 North Erie Street, PO Box 170, Mayville, New York 14757
- Phone: 716 753-4331
- Land Records: 1811
- Court Records: 1811
- Chautauqua County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 716 753-4339
- Probate Records: 1811
- Chautauqua County Historian
- Address: 1 North Erie Street, Mayville, New York 14757
- Phone: 716-753-4857
- Laws and resolutions of the Board of Supervisors of Chautauqua County
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Chautauqua County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chautauqua County, NY?
A list of Chautauqua County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chautauqua County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 404, Fredonia, NY 14063; , The societes publication, The Chautauqua Genealogist, is published quarterly.
- Chautauqua County Historical Society and McClurg Museum, P.O. Box 7, Westfield, NY 14787, Phone: 716-326-2977
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Bemus Point Historical Society, 13 Albertus Dr., Bemus Point , NY 14712
- Busti Historical Society, 3443 Lawson Road, Jamestown, NY 14701, (716) 483-3670
- Carroll Historical Society, Thomas Fenton, 542 Ivory Road, Frewsburg, NY 14738
- Celeron Historical Society, Edison LeRoy, 22-C Bradmar Court, Celeron, NY 14720
- Chautauqua Institution Archives, Chautauqua, NY 14722, (716) 357-6332/6306
- Chautauqua Township Historical Society, 15 Water Street, Mayville, NY 14757, (716) 753-7535
- Clymer Historical Society, Roger Westley, P. O. Box 114, Clymer, NY 14724
- Dunkirk Historical Society, 513 Washington , Dunkirk, NY 14048
- Ellington Historical Society, Laura Cronk, Box 473, Kennedy, NY 14747
- Fenton History Center, Christin Stein, 67 Washington Street, Jamestown, NY 14701, (716) 664-6256
- Findley Lake & Mina Historical Society, Community Building, Findley Lake, NY 14736
- French Creek Historical Society, R. D. 2, Clymer, NY 14724
- Hanover Historical Room, 68 Hanover Street, Silver Creek, NY 14136
- Harmony Historical Society Museum, 1943 Open Meadows , P. O. Box 127, Ashville, NY 14710
- Kiantone Historical Society, 959 Prosser Hill , Jamestown, NY 14701
- Lily Dale Historical Museum, Library and East Streets, Lily Dale, NY 14136
- Painted Hills Genealogy Society,
- Point Chautauqua Historical Society, 5997 Diamond , Dewittville, NY 14782, (716) 753-2772
- Robert H. Jackson Center, 305 East Fourth , P. O. Box 879, Jamestown, NY 14701-0879, (716) 483-6646
- Sheridan Historical Society, Sheridan Town Hall, Main Street, Sheridan, NY 14135
- Silver Creek Historical Center, 172 Central Avenue, Silver Creek, NY 14136
- Valley Historical Society, Main Street, Sinclairville, NY 14782
- Yorker Museum, Park & Church , Sherman, NY 14781, (716) 761-6789 or (716) (716) 287-3963
- Fenton History Center, 67 Washington Street, Jamestown, NY 14701, Phone: 716-664-6256, The research center includes family name files, cemetery inscriptions, marriages and death extracted from 19th century newspapers, photographs, diaries and other sources associated with the county.
- Chautauqua Institution Smith Memorial Library, 21 Miller Ave, P.O. Box 1093, Chautauqua, NY 14722, Phone: (716) 357-6332/6306
- Darwin R. Barker Library and Historical Museum, 7 Day Street , Fredonia, NY 14063-1891 , Phone: (716) 672-8051
- Patterson Library, 40 South Portage Street , Westfield, NY 14787 , Phone: (716) 326-2154
- Reed Library SUNY College at Fredonia , Fredonia, NY 14063 , Phone: (716) 673-3183
- Dunkirk Historical Museum , 513 Washington Avenue , Dunkirk, NY 14048 , Phone: (716) 366-3797
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chautauqua County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chautauqua County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Chautauqua County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chautauqua County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chautauqua County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.