Erie County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Erie County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Erie County, PA Created?
Erie County was established on March 12, 1800, from part of Allegheny County.
Erie County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Erie County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Erie County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Erie County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Erie County, PA Census Records
What Erie County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Erie County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Erie Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Erie Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Erie County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Erie County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Erie County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
Erie County was attached to Crawford County until 1803. A courthouse fire destroyed pre-1823 records.
- Erie County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 140 West Sixth Street, Erie, PA 16501
- Phone: (814) 451-6000
- Erie County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (814) 451-6246
- Land Records: 1823
- Erie County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Address: (814) 451-6250
- Phone: (814) 451-6221
- Court & Divorce Records: 1823
- Erie County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: 814-451-6260
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1823
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Erie County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Erie County, PA?
A list of Erie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Erie County Historical Society, 419 State Street, Erie, PA 16501; 814-454-1813
- Erie Society for Genealogical Research, P. O. Box 1403, Erie, PA 16512-1403
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Erie County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Erie County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Erie County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Erie County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Erie County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.