Newton County, Missouri
Newton County was created on December 31, 1838 from Barry County. The county was named in honor of John Newton (1755–1780), legendary soldier of the American Revolution.
The Newton County Seat is situated in Neosho and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Newton County include Jasper County (north), Lawrence County (northeast), Barry County (southeast), McDonald County (south), Ottawa County, Oklahoma (west), Cherokee County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Newton County include Diamond, Fairview, Granby, Joplin, Neosho, Seneca, Cliff Village, Dennis Acres, Grand Falls Plaza, Leawood, Loma Linda, Newtonia, Redings Mill, Ritchey, Saginaw, Shoal Creek Drive, Shoal Creek Estates, Silver Creek, Stark City, Stella, Wentworth.
Newton County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for Newton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Newton County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Newton Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Newton Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newton Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Newton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Newton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Newton County Historical Society, P.O. Box 675, 121 N Washington Str, Neosho, MO 64850; Ph: (417) 451-4940
- Genealogy Friends of the Library, P.O. Box 314, 201 West Spring , Neosho, MO 64850-0314; Phone: (417) 451-6751
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Stella Historical Society, 708 Ozark, Stella, MO 64867
- Granby Historical Society, P.O. Box 45, Granby, MO 64844; Phone: (417) 472-3171
- Newton County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Newton County
- Newton County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Newton County
- USGenWeb Archives for Newton County
Newton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Newton County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Newton County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Newton County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse burned in 1862, destroying many county records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Newton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 South Wood, Neosho, MO 64850
- Newton County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-451-8224
- Marriage Records: 1865 (including Index to marriage records, 1879-1921; Marriage records, 1865-)
- Land Records: 1839 (including Index to deeds, 1838-1898; Deed records, 1839-1917)
- Newton County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 451-8210
- Probate Records: 1839 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1847-1890; Probate minutes, 1879-1881; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1839-1895; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1868-1905; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1867-1894; Will records, 1872-1920)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1839 (including Index to circuit court records, 1839-1886; Circuit court records, 1839-1886)
- Newton County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 451-8221
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-85 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1885; Register of deaths, 1883-1885)
- Newton County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Newton County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Newton County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Newton County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Newton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Newton Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Newton Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Newton Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Newton Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Newton Co. MO Census Records
Newton Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Newton Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Newton Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Newton Co. MO General and History Websites
Newton Co. MO Military Records
Newton Co. MO Schools & Directories