Laclede County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Laclede County, Missouri Facts
When was Laclede County, MO Created?
Laclede County was created on February 24, 1849 from Camden County, Pulaski County and Wright County. The county was named in honor of Pierre Laclede (1729-1778), founder of St. Louis, Missouri.
What is the County Seat of Laclede County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Lebanon and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Laclede County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Camden County, Pulaski County, Texas County, Wright County, Webster County, Dallas County.
What cities and towns are in Laclede County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bennett Springs, Competition, Conway, Eldridge, Evergreen, Falcon, Hazelgreen, Lebanon, Lynchburg, Morgan, Phillipsburg, Richland, Sleeper, Stoutland.
Laclede County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Laclede County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Laclede County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Laclede County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Laclede County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Laclede County, MO Census Records
What Laclede County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Laclede County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Laclede Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Laclede Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laclede Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laclede Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Laclede County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Laclede County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Laclede County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Laclede County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Laclede County Courthouse was destroyed by fire of unkown causes in 1920. County recorder and County treasurer were able to get to their office and take out all their records. Some records were kept in a vault which collapsed and Circuit Clerk A.H. Gray lost all the records in his possession. Sheriff Lambeth also had some records in this vault G.C. Jones superintendent of schools, lost everything in his office. Article
- Laclede County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 N. Adams, Lebanon, MO 65536
- Laclede County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 532-2471
- Marriage Records: 1855 (including Index to marriage records, 1906-1916; Marriage records, 1855-1916)
- Land Records: 1849 (including Index to deeds, 1849-1890; Deed records, 1849-1894; Index to patent records, 1857-1962; Patent records, 1857-1945)
- Laclede County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 532-2471
- Probate Records: 1848 (including Index to probate records, 1850-1908; Probate records, 1850-1890; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1848-1881; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1912; Settlement records, 1865-1894; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1852-1881; Will records, 1850-1923)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845
- Laclede County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 532-5471
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1893 and (1922, one only))
- Laclede County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Laclede County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Laclede County, MO?
A list of Laclede County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Laclede County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 350 , Lebanon, MO 65536
- Laclede County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1341, Lebanon, MO 65536
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Laclede County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Laclede County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Laclede County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Laclede Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Laclede Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Laclede Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Laclede Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Laclede Co. MO General and History Websites
Laclede Co. MO Military Records
Laclede Co. MO Schools & Directories