Jefferson County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Jefferson County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Jefferson Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County was created on December 8, 1818 (effective January 1, 1819) from St. Louis County and Ste. Genevieve County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), third President of the United States, principal author of the Declaration of Independence, and one of the most influential Founding Fathers.
The Jefferson County Seat is situated in Hillsboro and in addition the county government website is www.jeffcomo.org
Areas surrounding Jefferson County include St. Louis County (north), Monroe County, Illinois (east), St. Genevieve County (southeast), St. Francois County (south), Washington County (southwest), Franklin County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Jefferson County include Arnold, Barnhart, Byrnes Mill, Cedar Hill, Cedar Hill Lakes, Crystal City, Danby, Dittmer, De Soto, Festus, Fletcher, Grubville, Herculaneum, Hematite, High Ridge, Hillsboro, Horine, House Springs, Imperial, Kimmswick, Liguori, Mapaville, Morse Mill, Murphy, Olympian Village, Otto, Parkdale, Pevely, Scotsdale, Sulphur Springs, Valles Mines.
Jefferson County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 712 South Main Street, De Soto, MO 63020; Ph: (636) 586-3858
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society,
c/o Jefferson County Library, 3033 High Ridge Boulevard, High Ridge, MO 63049; Phone: (636) 677-4898
- Jefferson County History Center, Jefferson College, 1000 Viking Dr, Hillsboro, MO 63050; (636) 789-3000
- Kimmswick Historical Society, P.O. Box 41 , 6000 Third Street, Kimmswick, MO 63053; (636) 464-8687
- Missouri Pacific Historical Society, 1601 St. Marys Lane, Festus, MO 63028-1558; Phone: (636) 937-7941
- Meramec Valley Genealogical and Historical Society c/o Scenic Library, 140 West St. Louis Street , Pacific, MO 63069; Phone: (314) 257-2712
- De Soto Historical Society, P.O. Box 513, 604 South Main Street, De Soto, MO 63020; (636) 586-9242
- Jefferson County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Jefferson County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Jefferson County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 729 Maple Street, Hillsboro MO 63050
- Jefferson County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (636) 797-5414
- Marriage Records: 1825 (including Index to marriage records, 1825-1849; Marriage records, 1826-1915; Register of marriage license, 1881 -1885. Marriage commissions,1826-1838; Negro/colored marriages, 1849-1871)
- Land Records: 1819 (including Index to deeds, 1819-1904; Deed records, 1819-1908; Index to warranty deeds, 1881-1885; Index to chattel mortgages, 1866-1904; Index to deeds of trust, 1866-1904; Deeds of trust, 1867-1887)
- Jefferson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 636-797-5443
- Probate Records: 1820 (including Probate records, 1822-1 885; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1858-1910; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1873-1895; Will records, 1872-1921)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1819 (including Index to circuit court records, 1831-1886; Circuit court records, 1819-1895)
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 636-797-5555
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-92 (including Chancery records, 1826-1851; Permanent record of births, 1890-1892; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1892; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1892)
- Jefferson County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jefferson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jefferson Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. MO Census Records
Jefferson Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. MO General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. MO Military Records
Jefferson Co. MO Schools & Directories