Greene County, Missouri
Greene County was created on January 2, 1833 from Crawford County and Wayne County. The county was named in honor of Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), a major general of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War.
The Greene County Seat is situated in Springfield and in addition the county government website is www.greenecountymo.org
Areas surrounding Greene County include Polk County (north), Dallas County (northeast), Webster County (east), Christian County (south), Lawrence County (southwest), Dade County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Greene County include Ash Grove, Battlefield, Bois D'Arc, Ebenezer, Fair Grove, Logan, Mission Hills, Oak Grove Heights, Plano, Republic, Rogersville, Springfield, Strafford, Turners, Walnut Grove, Willard.
Greene County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Greene County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Greene County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Greene Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Greene Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Greene County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greene County Archives & Records Center, 1126 Boonville, Springfield, MO 65802; Phone : (417) 868 - 4021
- Greene County Historical Society, P.O. Box 3466, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 881-6147
- Fair Grove Historical and Preservation Society, P.O. Box 93, Fair Grove, MO 65648; Phone: (417) 833-3467
- History Museum for Springfield-Greene County, 830 Boonville Avenue, Springfield, MO 65802; Phone: (417) 864-1976
- Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center Assemblies of God Archives, 1445 Boonville Avenue, Springfield, MO 65802; Phone: (417) 862-1447, ext. 4400, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- German-Austrian-Swiss Historical-Heritage Society of the Ozarks, 2214 East Cherryvale, Springfield, MO 65804-4524; Phone: (417) 883-8396
- General Sweenys Civil War Museum, 5228 South State Highway ZZ, Republic, MO 65738; Phone: (417) 732-1224
- White River Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Greene County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greene County
- Greene County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greene County
- USGenWeb Archives for Greene County
Greene County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Greene County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Greene County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Greene county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. A fire that destroyed the Courthouse on October 28, 1861
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Greene County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 940 N. Boonville Ave., Springfield, MO 65802
- Greene County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 868-4068
- Marriage Records: 1833 (including Marriage records, 1833-1916)
- Land Records: 1833 (including Index to deeds, 1833-1886; Deed records, 1833-1947)
- Greene County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: Judicial Courts Facility, 1010 North Boonville, Springfield, MO 65802
- Phone: (417) 868-4074
- Probate Records: 1830 (including Probate records, 1830-1 885; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1882-1895; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1865-1873; Settlement records, 1847-1881; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1834-1881; Will records, 1840-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833 (including Circuit court records, 1833-1885)
- Greene County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 868-4055
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1902 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1901; Permanent record of births, 1884-1889; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1895; Register of deaths, 1883-1902)
- Greene County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Greene County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Greene County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Greene County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Greene County genealogy or family history related sites.
Greene Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greene Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greene Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Greene Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greene Co. MO Census Records
Greene Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greene Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Greene Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greene Co. MO General and History Websites
Greene Co. MO Military Records
Greene Co. MO Schools & Directories