Dunklin County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Dunklin County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Dunklin Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Dunklin County was created on February 14, 1845 from Stoddard County. The county was named in honor of Daniel Dunklin (1790-1844), fifth governor of Missouri.
The Dunklin County Seat is situated in Kennett and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Dunklin County include Stoddard County (north), New Madrid County (northeast), Pemiscot County (east), Mississippi County, Arkansas (southeast), Craighead County, Arkansas (south), Greene County, Arkansas (southwest), Clay County, Arkansas (west), Butler County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Dunklin County include .
Townships located inside of Dunklin County include Arbyrd, Campbell, Cardwell, Clarkton, Gibson, Gobler, Holcomb, Hollywood, Hornersville, Kennett, Malden, Rives, Senath, White Oak.
Dunklin County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dunklin Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Dunklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dunklin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dunklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Dunklin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dunklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dunklin County Genealogical Society, 226 North Main Street, Kennett, MO 63857; Phone: (573) 888-3561
- Campbell Area Genealogical& Historical Society, P.O. Box 401, Campbell, MO 63933-0401
- Malden Historical Museum, P.O. Box 142, 201 N Beckwith Str, Malden, MO 63863; Ph: (573) 276-5008
- Dunklin County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dunklin County
- Dunklin County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dunklin County
- USGenWeb Archives for Dunklin County
Dunklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Dunklin County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Dunklin County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Dunklin County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Fire destroyed this courthouse during the Civil War. Courthouse burned again in April 1872; this was the fire that destroyed all records.
- Dunklin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Square, Kennett, MO 63857
- Dunklin County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-888-3468
- Marriage Records: 1872 (including Index to marriage records, 1889-1920; Marriage records, 1872-1916)
- Land Records: 1859 (including Index to deeds, 1872-1889; Deed records, 1872-1889; Patent records, 1859; Supplied deeds, 1872-1876)
- Dunklin County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 888-2456
- Probate Records: 1865 (including Index to probate records, 1872-1903; Probate records, 1869-1885; Probate minutes, 1879-1888; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1872-1924; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1872-1888; Settlement records, 1883-1892; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1865-1904; Will records, 1866-1944)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1872 (including Index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1872-1887)
- Dunklin County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 888-1374
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Dunklin County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Dunklin County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Dunklin County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Dunklin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dunklin Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dunklin Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dunklin Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dunklin Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dunklin Co. MO Census Records
Dunklin Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dunklin Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Dunklin Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dunklin Co. MO General and History Websites
Dunklin Co. MO Military Records
Dunklin Co. MO Schools & Directories