Butler County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Butler County, Missouri Facts
When was Butler County, MO Created?
Butler County was created on February 27, 1849 from Wayne County.
What is the County Seat of Butler County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Poplar Bluff and in addition the county government website is unknown
Butler County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Butler County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Butler County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Butler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Butler County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Butler County, MO Census Records
What Butler County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Butler County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Butler Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Butler Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Butler County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Butler County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Butler County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Butler County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Butler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 N Main, Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
- Butler County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573 686 8086
- Marriage Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1849
- Butler County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 686-8050
- Probate Records: 1849
- Court & Divorce Records: 1849
- Butler County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 573) 686-8050
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Butler County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Butler County, MO?
A list of Butler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Butler County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 413, Poplar Bluff 63901
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Butler County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Butler County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Butler County
- Butler County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Butler County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Butler County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.