Macomb County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Macomb County, Michigan Facts
When was Macomb County, MI Created?
Macomb County was created on January 15 1818 from Wayne County. This county was named for U.S. General Alexander Macomb, a notable officer of the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Macomb County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Mt. Clemens also, the county government website is www.macombcountymi.gov.
What counties are adjacent to Macomb County, MI?
Bordering Counties are St. Clair County, Lapeer County, Oakland County, Wayne County.
What cities and towns are in Macomb County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Center Line, Eastpointe, Fraser, Grosse Pointe Shores, Memphis, Mount Clemens, New Baltimore, Richmond, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights, Utica, Warren, Armada, New Haven, Romeo.
What Townships are in Macomb County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Armada, Bruce, Chesterfield Charter, Clinton Charter, Harrison Charter, Lenox, Macomb, Ray, Richmond, Shelby Charter, Washington.
Macomb County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Macomb County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Macomb County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Macomb County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Macomb County, MI Census Records
What Macomb County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Macomb County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Macomb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macomb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macomb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Macomb County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Macomb County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Macomb County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Macomb County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Macomb County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 North Main Street, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
- Macomb County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Macomb County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 586-469-5120
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Macomb County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (586) 469-7953
- Land Records: 1818
- Macomb County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (586) 469-5240
- Probate Records: 1849
- Macomb County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (586) 469-5150
- Court Records: 1818
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Macomb County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Macomb County, MI?
A list of Macomb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Macomb County Genealogical Society, c/o Mount Clemens Public Library, 150 Cass Avenue, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043; 1-586-469-6200
- Macomb County Historical Commission, Macomb Co. Admin. Bldg. One S. Main Street Mt. Clemens, MI. 48043
- New Baltimore Historical Society, 51065 Washington, New Baltimore, MI 48047
- Roseville Historical and Genealogical Society, c/o Roseville Public Library, 29777 Gratiot Avenue , Roseville, MI 48066-4196
- Romeo Historical Society, P.O. Box 412, Romeo 48065
- St. Clair Shores Genealogical Group, 22500 Eleven Mile Rd., St. Clair Shores 48081
- Sterling Heights Genealogical and Historical Society , P.O. Box 1154, Sterling Heights,MI 48311-1154
- Warren Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1773, Warren 48090-1773
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Macomb County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Macomb County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Macomb County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Macomb Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Macomb Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Macomb Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Macomb Co. MI General and History Websites
Macomb Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Macomb Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Macomb Co. MI Military Records