Wayne County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wayne County, Michigan Facts
When was Wayne County, MI Created?
Wayne County was created on November 21, 1815 from all lands within Michigan Territory that had been ceded by Native Americans through the 1807 Treaty of Detroit. It was an originally County.
Wayne County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Wayne County, MI Census Records
What Wayne County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wayne County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Wayne County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Wayne County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 City-County Building, Detroit, MI 48226
- Wayne County Clerk
- Phone: 313-224-6262
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1842
- Wayne County Register of Deeds
- Address: 400 Monroe, 7th Floor, Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 224-5854
- Land Records: 1703
- Wayne County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Address: 1307 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 224-5706
- Probate Records: 1797
- Wayne County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: 421 Madison Ave., Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 224-5261
- Court Records: 1818
- Documents relating to the erection of Wayne County and Michigan Territory
- Minutes of the meetings of the Village Council of Hamtramck
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, MI?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Canton Historical Society P.O. Box 87362 Canton MI 48187-0362; 734-397-0088.
- Dearborn Genealogical Society P.O. Box 1112 Dearborn 48121
- Dearborn Historical Society 915 Brady Dearborn 48124
- Detroit Society for Genealogical Research Inc. c/o Burton Historical Collection Detroit Public Library 5201 Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48202
- Detroit Historical Society 5401 Woodward Detroit 48202
- Downriver Genealogical Society P.O. Box 476 Lincoln Park 48146
- Flat Rock Historical Society P.O. Box 337 Flat Rock MI 48134; (734) 782-1269
- Fred Hart Williams Genealogical Society c/o Burton Historical Collection Detroit Public Library 5201 Woodward Avenue Detroit MI 48202
- Lincoln Park Historical Society P.O. Box 476 Lincoln Park 48146
- Northville Genealogical Society P.O. Box 932 Northville MI 48167
- Plymouth Historical Society 155 S. Main St. Plymouth 48170; (734) 455-8940
- Polish Genealogical Society Of Michigan 5201 Woodward Ave. Detroit 48202-4007
- Romulus Historical Society 11121 Wayne Rd. Romulus 48174
- Redford Township Historical and Genealogical Society P.O. Box 401175 Redford Michigan 48240-9175
- West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society 3245 Junction Street Detroit MI. 48210
- Wayne County Irish Society 31975 Cowan Westland 48185
- Western Wayne County Genealogical Society P.O. Box 530063 Livonia 48153-0063
- Wyandotte Historical Society 2624 Biddle Avenue Wyandotte Michigan 48192; 734-324-7299
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wayne County
- Wayne County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.