Meade County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Meade County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Meade Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Meade County was established on December 17, 1823 from Hardin County and Breckinridge County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Meade, military captain killed at the Battle of Frenchtown .
Currently the Meade County Seat is situated in Brandenburg additionally, the county government website is www.visitmeadecounty.org
Locations adjacent to Meade County happen to be Perry County, Indiana (northwest), Crawford County, Indiana (north), Hardin County (southeast), Breckinridge County (southwest), Harrison County, Indiana (northeast).
Cities and towns to be found in Meade County comprise of Brandenburg, Ekron, Muldraugh, Guston, Flaherty, Payneville, Battletown.
Meade County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Meade Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Meade Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meade Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meade Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Meade County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Meade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Meade County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Meade County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Meade County
- Meade County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Meade County
- KYMEADE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Meade County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Meade County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Meade County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Meade County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Meade County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Meade County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Brandenburg, KY, 40108
- Phone: (270) 422-2152
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Land Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1824
- Meade County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Meade County Courthouse, 516 Hillcrest Drive, Brandenburg, KY 40108-1241
- Phone: (270) 422-4961
- Court Records: 1824
- Meade County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Meade County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Meade County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Meade County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Meade County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Meade Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Meade Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Meade Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Meade Co. KY Census Records
Meade Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Meade Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Meade Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Meade Co. KY General and History Websites
Meade Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Meade Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Meade Co. KY Military Records