Knox County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Knox County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Knox Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Knox County was established on December 19, 1799 from Lincoln County. Currently the county was named in honor of Henry Knox, United States Secretary of War (1785–1794) .
Currently the Knox County Seat is situated in Barbourville additionally, the county government website is www.knoxcountyky.com
Locations adjacent to Knox County happen to be Clay County (northeast), Bell County (southeast), Whitley County (southwest), Laurel County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Knox County comprise of Barbourville, Corbin, North Corbin.
Knox County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Knox Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Knox Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Knox County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Knox County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Knox County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 528, Barbourville, KY 40906
- Knox County Genealogical Society, 2603 Aintree Way, Louisville KY 40220
- Knox County Historical Museum, P.O. Box 1446, Barbourville Municipal Building, 196 Daniel Boone Drive, Barbourville KY 40906; 606-546-4300
- Corbin Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 353,
Corbin KY 40701;
Covering Knox, Laurel & Whitley counties
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knox County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Knox County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knox County
- Knox County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Knox County
- KYKNOX. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knox County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KnoxCountyKy. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knox County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knoxcountyky/ or by sending the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: subscribe
- CUMBERLAND-RIVER. This mailing list is for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Cumberland River region of Southeast Kentucky. This includes the counties of Whitley, Wayne, Pulaski, Knox, and McCreary. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Knox County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Knox County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Knox County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Knox County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Knox County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 401 Court Square, Ste.102, Barbourville, KY, 40906
- Phone: (606) 546-3589
- Marriage Records: 1800
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1803
- Knox County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Knox County Courthouse Annex, 401 Court Square, P.O. Box 760, Barbourville, KY 40906-0760
- Phone: (606) 546-3075
- Court Records: 1800
- Knox County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Knox County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Knox County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Knox County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Knox County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Knox Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Knox Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Knox Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Knox Co. KY Census Records
Knox Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Knox Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Knox Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Knox Co. KY General and History Websites
Knox Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Knox Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Knox Co. KY Military Records