Jefferson County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, Kentucky Facts
When was Jefferson County, KY Created?
Jefferson County was created on May 1, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties . Currently the county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States (1801–1809) .
What is the County Seat of Jefferson County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Louisville additionally, the county government website is www.louisvilleky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Clark County, Indiana (north), Oldham County (northeast), Shelby County (east), Spencer County (southeast), Bullitt County (south), Hardin County (southwest), Harrison County, Indiana (west), Floyd County, Indiana (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Jefferson County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Anchorage, Audubon Park, Bancroft, Barbourmeade, Beechwood Village, Bellemeade, Bellewood, Blue Ridge Manor, Briarwood, Broad Fields, Broeck Pointe, Brownsboro Farm, Brownsboro Village, Cambridge, Cherrywood Village, Coldstream, Creekside, Crossgate, Douglass Hills, Druid Hills, Fairmeade, Fincastle, Fisherville, Forest Hills, Glenview Hills, Glenview Manor, Glenview, Goose Creek, Graymoor-Devondale, Green Spring, Hickory Hill, Hills and Dales, Hollow Creek, Hollyvilla, Houston Acres, Hurstbourne Acres, Hurstbourne, Indian Hills, Jeffersontown, Keeneland, Kingsley, Langdon Place, Lincolnshire, Louisville, Lyndon, Lynnview, Manor Creek, Maryhill Estates, Meadow Vale, Meadowbrook Farm, Meadowview Estates, Middletown, Minor Lane Heights, Mockingbird Valley, Moorland, Murray Hill, Norbourne Estates, Northfield, Norwood, Old Brownsboro Place, Parkway Village, Plantation, Plymouth Village, Poplar Hills, Prospect, Richlawn, Riverwood, Rolling Fields, Rolling Hills, Seneca Gardens, Shively, South Park View, Spring Mill, Spring Valley, Springlee, St. Matthews, St. Regis Park, Strathmoor Manor, Strathmoor Village, Sycamore, Ten Broeck, Thornhill, Watterson Park, Wellington, West Buechel, Wildwood, Windy Hills, Woodland Hills, Woodlawn Park, Worthington Hills, Whipps Millgate .
Jefferson County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records) (search.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Jefferson County, KY Census Records
What Jefferson County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Jefferson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jefferson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jefferson County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 527 West Jefferson St., Ste. 105, Louisville, KY, 40202
- Phone: (502) 574-5566
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1783
- Probate Records: 1784
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice, 600 W. Jefferson St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Phone: (502) 595-3055
- Court Records: 1780
- Jefferson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Jefferson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Jefferson County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, KY?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Jeffersontown & Southeast Jefferson County Historical Society, 2432 Merriwood Drive, Jeffersontown KY 40299
- Louisville Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5164, Louisville KY 40205
- Louisville Civil War Roundtable, P.O. Box 1861, Louisville KY 40201
- The Filson Historical Society , 1310 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208; Phone: (502) 635-5083, FAX: (502) 635-5086
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Louisville, 3304 Furman Blvd, Louisville KY 40220
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- ARCHIVES/RECORDS DEPARTMENT, 514 West Liberty Street (Room 100), (Old Jail Building)
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYJEFFER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jefferson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Jefferson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Jefferson Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. KY General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. KY Military Records
Jefferson Co. KY Schools & Directories
- Louisville, Kentucky Directories, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky Directory, 1886 (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Kentucky Directory, 1887 (search.ancestry.com)
- Caron's directory of the city of Louisville for 1909 : containing a list of the inhabitants, their residence and occupation, a (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky Directory, 1832 (search.ancestry.com)