Breathitt County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Breathitt County, Kentucky Facts
When was Breathitt County, KY Created?
Breathitt County was created on February 8, 1839 from Clay County, Estill County and Perry County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Breathitt, eleventh Governor of Kentucky (1832–1834) .
What is the County Seat of Breathitt County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Jackson additionally, the county government website is www.breathittcounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Breathitt County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Wolfe County (northwest), Magoffin County (northeast), Knott County (east), Perry County (southeast), Owsley County (southwest), Lee County (west).
What cities and towns are in Breathitt County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Jackson.
Breathitt County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Breathitt County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Breathitt County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Breathitt County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Breathitt County, KY Census Records
What Breathitt County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Breathitt County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breathitt Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breathitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Breathitt County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Breathitt County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Breathitt County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Breathitt County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The courthouse or the jail was burned during the Civil War by Confederate troops. A fire in 1873 destroyed most of the county's records.
- Breathitt County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 1137 Main St., Jackson, KY, 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-3807
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1873
- Probate Records: 1873
- Breathitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Breathitt County Justice Center, 1131 Main St., Jackson, KY 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-5768 or (606) 666-4342
- Court Records: 1838
- Breathitt County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Breathitt County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Breathitt County USGenWeb Archives Project
Breathitt County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breathitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Breathitt Co Historical & Genealogical Society, Breathitt Co Public Library, 1024 College Ave, Jackson, KY 41339
- Breathitt County Public Library, 1024 College Avenue, Jackson, KY 41339; 606-666-5541
- Breathitt County Museum, 329 Broadway, Jackson, Ky 41339; Phone: 606-666-4159
Where can I connect with other Breathitt County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breathitt County
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBREATH. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breathitt County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Breathitt County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Breathitt County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breathitt County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Breathitt Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Breathitt Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Breathitt Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Breathitt Co. KY General and History Websites
Breathitt Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Breathitt Co. KY Military Records