Breathitt County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Breathitt County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Breathitt Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Breathitt County was established on February 8, 1839 from Clay County, Estill County and Perry County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Breathitt, eleventh Governor of Kentucky (1832–1834) .
Currently the Breathitt County Seat is situated in Jackson additionally, the county government website is www.breathittcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Breathitt County happen to be Wolfe County (northwest), Magoffin County (northeast), Knott County (east), Perry County (southeast), Owsley County (southwest), Lee County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Breathitt County comprise of Jackson.
Breathitt County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breathitt Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breathitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Breathitt County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breathitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Breathitt Co Historical & Genealogical Society, Breathitt Co Public Library, 1024 College Ave, Jackson, KY 41339
- Breathitt County Public Library, 1024 College Avenue, Jackson, KY 41339; 606-666-5541
- Breathitt County Museum, 329 Broadway, Jackson, Ky 41339; Phone: 606-666-4159
- KYBREATH. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breathitt County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Breathitt County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breathitt County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breathitt County
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Breathitt County
Breathitt County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Breathitt County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Breathitt County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Breathitt county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse or the jail was burned during the Civil War by Confederate troops. A fire in 1873 destroyed most of the county's records.
- Breathittd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 1137 Main St., Jackson, KY, 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-3807
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1873
- Probate Records: 1873
- Breathitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Breathitt County Justice Center, 1131 Main St., Jackson, KY 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-5768 or (606) 666-4342
- Court Records: 1838
- Breathitt County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Breathitt County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Breathitt County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breathitt County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Breathitt Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Breathitt Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Breathitt Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Breathitt Co. KY Census Records
Breathitt Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Breathitt Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Breathitt Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Breathitt Co. KY General and History Websites
Breathitt Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Breathitt Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Breathitt Co. KY Military Records