Barren County, Kentucky
Barren County was established on December 20, 1798 from Green County and Warren County. Currently the county was named for the Barrens, a region of grassland in Kentucky .
Currently the Barren County Seat is situated in Glasgow additionally, the county government website is www.barrencounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Barren County happen to be Hart County (north), Metcalfe County (east), Monroe County (southeast), Allen County (southwest), Warren County (west), Edmonson County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Barren County comprise of Cave City, Eighty Eight, Glasgow, Hiseville and Park City.
Barren County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Barren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Barren County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barren Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Barren Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Barren County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Barren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- South Central Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157; Serving Barren, Cumberland, Metcalfe & Monroe Counties.
- South Central KY Historical & Genealogical Society, P O Office Bos 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157 Meets 4th Thursday of each month except December, South Central KY Cultural Center, Glasgow, KY, 7 pm. Publication is "Traces".
- KYBARREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Barren County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barren County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Barren County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barren County
- Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Barren County
Barren County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Barren County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Barren County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Barren County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Barren County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 117 North Public Square Suite 1A, Glasgow, KY, 42141
- Phone: (270) 651-5200
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1798
- Barren County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Barren County Courthouse, 100 Courthouse Square, P.O. Box 1359, Glasgow, KY 42142-1359
- Phone: (270) 651-2561
- Court Records: 1798
- Barren County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Barren County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Barren County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Barren County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Barren County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Barren Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Barren Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Barren Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Barren Co. KY Census Records
Barren Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Barren Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Barren Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Barren Co. KY General and History Websites
Barren Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Barren Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Barren Co. KY Military Records