Barren County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Barren County, Kentucky Facts
When was Barren County, KY Created?
Barren County was created on December 20, 1798 from Green County and Warren County. Currently the county was named for the Barrens, a region of grassland in Kentucky .
What is the County Seat of Barren County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Glasgow additionally, the county government website is www.barrencounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Barren County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Hart County (north), Metcalfe County (east), Monroe County (southeast), Allen County (southwest), Warren County (west), Edmonson County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Barren County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Cave City, Eighty Eight, Glasgow, Hiseville and Park City.
Barren County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Barren County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Barren County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Barren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Barren County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Barren County, KY Census Records
What Barren County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Barren County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barren Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Barren Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Barren County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Barren County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Barren County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Barren County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Barren County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 117 North Public Square Suite 1A, Glasgow, KY, 42141
- Phone: (270) 651-5200
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1798
- Barren County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Barren County Courthouse, 100 Courthouse Square, P.O. Box 1359, Glasgow, KY 42142-1359
- Phone: (270) 651-2561
- Court Records: 1798
- Barren County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Barren County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Barren County, Kentucky Wills, 1800-24
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Barren County USGenWeb Archives Project
Barren County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Barren County, KY?
A list of Barren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- South Central Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157; Serving Barren, Cumberland, Metcalfe & Monroe Counties.
- South Central KY Historical & Genealogical Society, P O Office Bos 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157 Meets 4th Thursday of each month except December, South Central KY Cultural Center, Glasgow, KY, 7 pm. Publication is "Traces".
Where can I connect with other Barren County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barren County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barren County
- Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBARREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Barren County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Barren County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Barren County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Barren Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Barren Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Barren Co. KY General and History Websites
Barren Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Barren Co. KY Military Records