Webster County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Webster County, Iowa Facts
When was Webster County, IA Created?
Webster County was established on January 15, 1851 from Risley County & Yell County .
What is the County Seat of Webster County, IA?
The County Seat is located in Fort Dodge and the county government website is http://www.webstercountyia.org/
What counties are adjacent to Webster County, IA?
Bordering Counties are Humboldt County, Wright County, Hamilton County, Boone County, Greene County, Calhoun County, Pocahontas County.
Webster County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Webster County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Webster County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Webster County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Webster County, IA Census Records
What Webster County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Webster County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Webster Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another Iowa census is the Iowa State Census Collection from 1836-1925. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Iowa Census Records Research Guide
Webster County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
Webster County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Webster County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Webster County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Iowa courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Iowa residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Webster County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Webster County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Webster County, IA?
A list of Webster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Webster County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1584, Fort Dodge, IA 50501
- Prairie Trails Historical Museum, 515 East Jefferson Street, Highway 2 East, Corydon, Iowa 50060; 1-641-872-2211
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Webster County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Webster County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Webster County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Webster Co. IA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Webster Co. IA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Iowa Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Iowa Cemetery Records (search.ancestry.com) This collection is the largest compilation of the Iowa WPA cemetery records found in one single place.
- Webster Co., Iowa Graves (findagrave.com)
- Iowa WPA Graves Registration Survey (iagenweb.org) These records contain burials throughout much of Iowa that were compiled by WPA workers in the 1930 s, including grave markers which no longer exist today. Records may be searched within a county or state-wide.
- Webster County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Webster Co., Iowa Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Iowa Civil War Soldier Burial Records (search.ancestry.com) At least 75,000 soldiers enlisted from the state of Iowa during the Civil War and thousands more who served from other states settled in Iowa following the Rebellion. This database currently contains a listing of over 18,800 of these service men (and a few women) who died and were buried in the state, or who enlisted from the state of Iowa and are buried elsewhere.
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Webster County, Iowa
- Webster Co., Iowa Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Iowa Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Webster County, Iowa
- Webster County, Iowa Church Books (amazon.com)
Webster Co. IA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Webster Co. IA General and History Websites
Webster Co. IA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Webster Co. IA Military Records
- Iowa Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Iowa Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Iowa both males and females which served. Just the thing for Webster County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
- Iowa Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, 1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains a list of ex-soldiers, sailors, and marines who were living in Iowa in 1885.
Webster Co. IA Schools & Directories
- Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains the 1884-85 Iowa gazetteer and business directory. The gazetteer covers each city, town, village, and settlement in Iowa and includes a description of each place and a directory of the people engaged in business or the professions located there.