Webster County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Webster County, Iowa Facts
When was Webster County, IA Created?
Webster County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1853) from Risley County & Yell County . The county was named in honor of Daniel Webster (1782–1852), the statesman, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts, and United States Secretary of State
What is the County Seat of Webster County, IA?
The County Seat is located in Fort Dodge and the county government website is http://www.webstercountyia.org/
What counties are adjacent to Webster County, IA?
Bordering Counties are Humboldt County, Wright County, Hamilton County, Boone County, Greene County, Calhoun County, Pocahontas County.
What cities and towns are in Webster County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Badger, Barnum, Callender, Clare, Coalville, Dayton, Duncombe, Fort Dodge, Gowrie, Harcourt, Lehigh, Moorland, Otho, Vincent.
Webster County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Webster County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Webster County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Webster County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Webster County, IA Census Records
What Webster County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Webster County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Webster Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another Iowa census is the Iowa State Census Collection from 1836-1925. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Iowa Census Records Research Guide
Webster County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
Webster County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Webster County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Webster County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Webster County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1111 E Court Ave, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Phone: (515) 576-0581
- Webster County Recorder's Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder's Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1856
- Webster County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1864
- BLM Land Records
Webster County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Webster County, IA?
A list of Webster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Webster County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1584, Fort Dodge, IA 50501
- Prairie Trails Historical Museum, 515 East Jefferson Street, Highway 2 East, Corydon, Iowa 50060; 1-641-872-2211
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Webster County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Webster County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Webster County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Webster Co. IA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Webster Co. IA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Iowa Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Iowa Cemetery Records (search.ancestry.com) This collection is the largest compilation of the Iowa WPA cemetery records found in one single place.
- Webster Co., Iowa Graves (findagrave.com)
- Iowa WPA Graves Registration Survey (iagenweb.org) These records contain burials throughout much of Iowa that were compiled by WPA workers in the 1930 s, including grave markers which no longer exist today. Records may be searched within a county or state-wide.
- Webster County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Webster Co., Iowa Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Iowa Civil War Soldier Burial Records (search.ancestry.com) At least 75,000 soldiers enlisted from the state of Iowa during the Civil War and thousands more who served from other states settled in Iowa following the Rebellion. This database currently contains a listing of over 18,800 of these service men (and a few women) who died and were buried in the state, or who enlisted from the state of Iowa and are buried elsewhere.
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Webster County, Iowa
- Webster Co., Iowa Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Iowa Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Webster County, Iowa
- Webster County, Iowa Church Books (amazon.com)
Webster Co. IA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Webster Co. IA General and History Websites
Webster Co. IA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Webster Co. IA Military Records
- Iowa Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Iowa Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Iowa both males and females which served. Just the thing for Webster County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
- Iowa Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines, 1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains a list of ex-soldiers, sailors, and marines who were living in Iowa in 1885.
Webster Co. IA Schools & Directories
- Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885 (search.ancestry.com) This database contains the 1884-85 Iowa gazetteer and business directory. The gazetteer covers each city, town, village, and settlement in Iowa and includes a description of each place and a directory of the people engaged in business or the professions located there.