Calhoun County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Calhoun County, Iowa Facts
When was Calhoun County, IA Created?
Calhoun County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1855) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of John Caldwell Calhoun, the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825–1832
What cities and towns are in Calhoun County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Farnhamville, Jolley, Knierim, Lake City, Lohrville, Lytton, Manson, Pomeroy, Rinard, Rockwell City, Somers, Yetter
Calhoun County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Calhoun County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Calhoun County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Calhoun County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Calhoun County, IA Census Records
What Calhoun County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Calhoun County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Calhoun Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Calhoun Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Calhoun Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Calhoun County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Calhoun County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Calhoun County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Calhoun County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 416 4th St, Rockwell City, IA 50579
- Phone: (712) 297-8122
- Calhoun County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Land Records: 1855
- Calhoun County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1860?
- BLM Land Records
Calhoun County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Calhoun County, IA?
A list of Calhoun County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Calhoun County Genealogical Society, 426 5th St., Rockwell City, IA 50579-1415
- Calhoun County Historical Society, 855 Richmond Street, Rockwell City, IA 50579-1816; Phone: (712) 297-5731
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Calhoun County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Calhoun County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Calhoun County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Calhoun County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Calhoun County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.