Pike County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Pike County, Illinois Facts
When was Pike County, IL Created?
Pike County was established on January 31, 1821 from Madison County. This county was named for Zebulon Pike (1779-1813), early explorer of the American Southwest, namesake of Pikes Peak .
What is the County Seat of Pike County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Pittsfield (prior county seats was Coles’ Grove—Now Gilead in Calhoun County from 1821–1824, Atlas from 1824–1833) also, the county government website is www.pikeil.org/county_government.jsp .
What counties are adjacent to Pike County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Brown County (north), Scott County (east), Morgan County (east), Greene County (southeast), Calhoun County (southeast), Pike County, Missouri (south), Ralls County, Missouri (west), Adams County (northwest), Marion County, Missouri (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Pike County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Atlas, Barry, Baylis, Bedford, Chambersburg, Detroit, El Dara, Fishhook, Florence, Griggsville, Hull, Kinderhook, Martinsburg, Maysville, Meredosia, Milton, Montezuma, Nebo, New Canton, New Hartford, New Salem, Pearl, Perry, Pittsfield, Pleasant Hill, Seehorn, Time, Valley City.
What Townships are in Pike County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Levee, Kinderhook, Hardin, Flint, Fairmount, Griggsville, Hadley, Atlas, Barry, Cincinnati, Chambersburg, Derry, Detroit, Pleasant Vale, Perry, Pearl, Pittsfield, Pleasant Hill, Martinsburg, Montezuma, New Salem, Newburg, Spring Creek, Ross.
Pike County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Pike County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Pike County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Pike County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Pike County, IL Census Records
What Pike County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Pike County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pike Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pike Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pike Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Pike County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Pike County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Pike County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Pike County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some records lost or damaged in a fire in 1831
- Pike County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Washington St., Pittsfield, IL 62363
- Pike County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-285-6812
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Birth & Death Records: 1876
- Land Records: 1818
- Pike County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-285-6812
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1819
- Pike County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Pike County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Pike County, IL?
A list of Pike County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Griggsville Area Genealogical & Historical Society, PO Box 75, Griggsville IL 62340
- Pike/Calhoun Genealogical Society, PO Box 104, Pleasant Hill IL 62366
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Pike County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Pike County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pike County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Pike Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pike Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pike Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Pike Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pike Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Pike County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Pike County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Pike County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketch (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of Pike County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- The Jess M. Thompson Pike County history : as printed in installments in the Pike County republican, Pittsfield, Illinois, 1935 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Pike County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Pike Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Pike County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Pike (cyndislist.com)
- Pike County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Pike Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Pike County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Pike Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Pike Co. IL Military Records