Marion County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marion County, Missouri Facts
When was Marion County, MO Created?
Marion County was created on December 23, 1826 from Ralls County.
What is the County Seat of Marion County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Palmyra and in addition the county government website is unknown
Marion County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Marion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marion County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Marion County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Marion County, MO Census Records
What Marion County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Marion County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marion Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Marion County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marion County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Marion County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Marion County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Marion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 S. Main, Palmyra, Missouri 63461
- Marion County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-769-7001
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Land Records: 1827
- Marion County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (573) 769-2550
- Probate Records: 1827
- Court & Divorce Records: 1827
- Marion County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (573) 769-2549
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-90; Also births 1927-30 and deaths 1927-30.(including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1889 and 1927-1930; Register of deaths, 1883-1889 and 1927-1930
- Marion County, Missouri Wills: 1853-87
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Marion County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marion County, MO?
A list of Marion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marion County Historical Society, 1001 Hill Street, Hannibal, MO 63401
- Friends of Historic Hannibal, 926 Center St., Hannibal, MO 63401
- Northeast Missouri Genealogical Society, 112 North Fourth Street, Canton, MO 63435; Phone: (217) 656-3853
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Marion County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marion County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marion County
- Marion County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marion County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marion County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.