Morgan County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morgan County, Illinois Facts
When was Morgan County, IL Created?
Morgan County was established on January 31, 1823.
What is the County Seat of Morgan County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Jacksonville (prior county seats was Olmstead’s Mounds Temporary designation from 1823–1825) also, the county government website is www.morgancounty-il.com/ .
Morgan County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Morgan County, IL Census Records
What Morgan County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morgan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Morgan County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Morgan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Illinois residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 W. State St., Jacksonville, IL 62650
- Morgan County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (217) 243-8581
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Birth & Death Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1824
- Morgan County Clerk of the Circuit Court,
- Phone: 217-243-5419
- Probate Records: 1824
- Court Records: 1827
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- BLM Land Records
Morgan County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, IL?
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jacksonville Area Genealogical & Historical Society, 416 South Main Street, Jacksonville, Illinois
- Meredosia Area Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box 304, Meredosia IL 62665
- Waverly Genealogical & Historical Society, 157 E. Tremont, Waverly IL 62692
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.