Wyoming County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wyoming County, West Virginia Facts
When was Wyoming County, WV Created?
Wyoming County was established on January 26, 1850 from Logan County. The county was derived from Native American term for “wide plain”.
What is the County Seat of Wyoming County, WV?
The County Seat is located in Pineville and the county government website is http://www.wyomingcounty.com
Wyoming County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Wyoming County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wyoming County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wyoming County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Wyoming County, WV Census Records
What Wyoming County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wyoming County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wyoming Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Wyoming County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wyoming County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wyoming County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: PO Box 309, Pineville, WV 24874
- Wyoming County Clerk
- Phone: (304) 732-8000
- Birth / Death Records: 1853 (Deaths: 1860-64, partial 1865-67, 1868-74.)
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Land Records: 1850
- Probate Records: 1850
- Wyoming County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (304) 732-8000
- Court Records: 1850
Wyoming County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wyoming County, WV?
A list of Wyoming County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Wyoming County Genealogical Society, Box 1186, Pineville, WV 24874
- Wyoming County Historical Museum, P.O. Box 2041, Oceana, WV 24870; Phone: (304) 682-6231, Extension 308
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Wyoming County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wyoming County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wyoming County
- Wyoming County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wyoming County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wyoming County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.