OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Logan County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Logan County, West Virginia Facts
When was Logan County, WV Created?
Logan County was established on January 12, 1824 from Cabell County, Giles County, Kanawha County and Tazewell County.
What is the County Seat of Logan County, WV?
The County Seat is located in Logan and the county government website is http://www.logancounty.wv.gov
What counties are adjacent to Logan County, WV?
Bordering Counties are Lincoln County, Boone County, Wyoming County, Mingo County.
Logan County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Logan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Logan County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Logan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Logan County, WV Census Records
What Logan County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Logan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Logan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Logan County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Logan County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse Fire sometime during Civil War. Not all records lost.
- Logan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 Stratton St, Logan, WV 25601
- Logan County Clerk
- Phone: 304-792-8600
- Birth / Death Records: 1872
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Land Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1873
- Logan County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 304-792-8550
- Court Records:1824
Logan County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Logan County, WV?
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Logan County Genealogical Society, Southern West Virginia Community College Library, P. O. Box 1959, Logan, WV 25601
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Logan County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Logan County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Logan County
- Logan County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Logan County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Logan County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Logan Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
- West Virginia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- West Virginia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 – 1904) (genealogybank.com) Quickly identify names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million publications, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items written and published in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. New content added every month!
- Logan County, West Virginia Books (amazon.com)
- Search West Virginia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Logan County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Logan Co. WV Church & Cemeteries
- West Virginia Church and Cemetery Research Guide
- Logan Co., West Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Logan County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Logan Co., West Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Logan Co., West Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Logan County, West Virginia Church Books (amazon.com)
Logan Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- West Virginia Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Logan Co. WV General and History Websites
- See Also State History for West Virginia
- Logan County, West Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Logan County Encyclopedia (wvencyclopedia.org)
- Logan County, West Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Logan Co. WV Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Logan County, West Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – West Virginia – Counties – Logan (cyndislist.com)
- Logan County West Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- Logan Co. West Virginia Genealogy Page, USGenWeb Project (wvgenweb.org)
- Logan County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Logan Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Logan Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of West Virginia Links and Information
- 1895 Logan County Map (livgenmi.com)
Logan Co. WV Military Records
- West Virginia Military Records Research Guide
- West Virginia Military Records (fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the West Virginia women and men which served. Ideal for Logan County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.