Bath County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bath County, Virginia Facts
What counties are adjacent to Bath County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Highland County, Augusta County, Rockbridge County, Alleghany County, Greenbrier County, West Virginia, Pocahontas County, West Virginia.
Bath County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Bath County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bath County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Bath County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Bath Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Bath County, VA Census Records
What Bath County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bath County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bath Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bath Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bath Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Bath County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Bath County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bath County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Bath County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 180, Courthouse, Warm Springs, VA 24484-0180
- Phone: (540) 839-7226
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Probate Records: 1791
- Bath Caounty County Government Services
- Bath County Commissioner of the Revenue – 540-839-7231
- Another resource is the Bath County Health Department, Court House Square, P.O. Box 120, Warm Springs, VA 24482; Main Reception: (540) 839-7246
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Bath County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bath County, VA?
A list of Bath County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bath County Historical Society, 99 Courthouse Hill Road, P.O. Box 212, Warm Springs, VA 24484; Telephone: 540-839-2543
- Bath County Memorial Library
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Bath County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Bath Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Bath County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bath County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bath County
- Bath County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Bath County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bath County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.