OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Alleghany County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Alleghany County, Virginia Facts
When was Alleghany County, VA Created?
Alleghany County was established on January 05, 1822 and was formed from Bath County, Botetout County and Monroe County, West Virginia in 1822.
What is the County Seat of Alleghany County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Covington also, the county government website is www.alleghanycounty.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Alleghany County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Bath County, Rockbridge County, Botetourt County, Craig County, Monroe County, West Virginia, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
Alleghany County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Alleghany County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Alleghany County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Alleghany County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Alleghany Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Clifton Forge Health Department, 322 Jefferson Avenue, P. O. Box 15, Clifton Forge, VA 24422; Phone: (540) 862-4131 and Covington Health Department, 321 Beech Street | P.O. Box 747, Covington, VA 24426; Phone: (540) 962-2173
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Alleghany County, VA Census Records
What Alleghany County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Alleghany County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Alleghany Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alleghany Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alleghany Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Alleghany County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Alleghany County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Allegheny County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Allegheny County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Alleghany County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 670, Courthouse, 266 West Main Street, Covington, VA 24426-0670
- Phone: (540) 965-1730
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1669
- Court Records: 1778
- Probate Records: 1772
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Alleghany County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Alleghany County, VA?
A list of Alleghany County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Alleghany Highlands Genealogical Society, 515 East Pine Street, Covington, VA 24426
- Alleghany County Historical Society, 149 N. Maple Avenue, P.O. Box 384, Covington, VA 24426; 540-965-0149
- Charles P. Jones Memorial Library, 406 West Riverside Street, Covington, VA 24426; (540) 962-3321
- Clifton Forge Public Library, 535 Church Street, Clifton Forge, VA 24422; Phone: (540) 863-2519
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Alleghany County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Alleghany Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Alleghany County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alleghany County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Alleghany County
- Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Alleghany County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Alleghany County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Alleghany Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Virginia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Virginia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 – 1922 ) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices and other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new articles and other content added each month!
- Alleghany County, Virginia Books (amazon.com)
- Search Virginia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Virginia County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Alleghany Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Cemeteries in Alleghany County, VA
- Alleghany Co., Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Alleghany County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Alleghany Co., Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Alleghany Co., Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Alleghany County, Virginia Church Books (amazon.com)
Alleghany Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Virginia Penny Postcards (usgwarchives.net)
- Alleghany County Pictures (usgwarchives.net)
Alleghany Co. VA General and History Websites
- Alleghany County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- History of Alleghany County (rootsweb.com)
- Alleghany County – A Concise History (sgarner349.com)
- Alleghany County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Alleghany County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Alleghany Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Alleghany County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Alleghany County – American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Alleghany County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Virginia – Counties – Alleghany (cyndislist.com)
- Alleghany Co. VAGenweb (vagenweb.org)
- Alleghany County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Alleghany Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Alleghany Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Virginia Links and Information
- 1895 Alleghany County Map (livgenmi.com)
Alleghany Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Military Records Research Guide
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.