Augusta County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Augusta County, Virginia Facts
Augusta County was founded in December 15, 1738 and was formed from Orange County.
What counties are adjacent to Augusta County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Pendleton County, West Virginia, Rockingham County, Albemarle County, Nelson County, Rockbridge County, Bath County, Highland County.
Augusta County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Augusta County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Augusta County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Augusta County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Augusta Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Augusta County, VA Census Records
What Augusta County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Augusta County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Augusta Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Augusta Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Augusta Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Augusta County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Augusta County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Augusta County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Augusta County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 689, Augusta County Courthouse, 1 East Johnson Street, Staunton, VA 24402-0689
- Phone: (540) 245-5321
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Land Records: 1745
- Court Records: 1745
- Probate Records: 1745
- Augusta County Property Records Search
- Augusta County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Augusta County Treasurer
- Augusta-Staunton Health Department, District Headquarters building, 1414 North Augusta Street, P.O. Box 2126, Staunton, VA 24402; Main Reception: (540) 332-7830
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Augusta County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Augusta County, VA?
A list of Augusta County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Augusta County Geneaogical Society, PO Box 436, Fishersville Va 22939. We have an office located at 22 South New Street, Staunton VA. No telephone is available at this time.
- Augusta County Historical Society, 20 South New Street, P.O. Box 686, Staunton, VA 24402-0686; Telephone: 540-248-4151
- William Thompson Genealogical and Historical Society, Glenn W. Thompson, Jr., P.O. Box 1391, Waynesboro, VA 22980-0933
- Augusta County Library, 1759 Jefferson Hwy., Fishersville, VA 22939; Phone: (540) 949-6354
- Churchville Branch Library, 3714 Churchville Ave, Churchville, VA 24421; Phone 540-245-5287
- Augusta County Central Library, Route 250 & Intersection 608, P.O. Box 600, Fishersville, VA 22939; (540) 885-3961
- Waynesboro Public Library, 600 South Wayne Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 22980; (540) 942-6746
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Augusta County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Augusta Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Augusta County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Augusta County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Augusta County
- Augusta County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Augusta County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Augusta County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.