South Carolina History & Facts
Oconee County, South Carolina Facts
When was Oconee County, SC Created?
Oconee County was established on 1868 from Pickens County.
What counties are adjacent to Oconee County, SC?
Bordering counties are Jackson County, North Carolina, Transylvania County, North Carolina, Pickens County, Anderson County, Hart County, Georgia, Franklin County, Georgia, Stephens County, Georgia, Habersham County, Georgia, Rabun County, Georgia, Macon County, North Carolina.
Oconee County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Oconee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Oconee County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Oconee County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Oconee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Oconee County, SC Census Records
What Oconee County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Oconee Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Oconee Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Oconee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Oconee County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Oconee County Courthouse?
- Oconee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 South Pine Street, Walhalla, SC 29691
- Oconee County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 864-638-4285
- Land Records: 1868
- Oconee County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 864-638-4275
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1868
- Oconee County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 864-638-4280
- Court Records: 1868
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Oconee County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Oconee County, SC?
A list of Oconee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Ocenee County Genealogical Society, 247 Cross Hill Road, Easley 29640
- Oconee Heritage Center, 123 Brown Square Drive, P O Box 395, Walhalla, SC 29691
- Piedmont Historical Society, PO Box 1842, Spartanburg, SC 29304; Ph:864-574-3056
- Old Pendleton District Chapter of S.C.G.S., 247 Cross Hill Road, Easley, SC 29640-8857
- USGenWeb Archives for Oconee County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Oconee County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Oconee County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Oconee County
- Oconee County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Oconee County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Oconee County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.