OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Macon County, North Carolina History
When was Macon County, NC Created?
Macon County was created on 1828 from Haywood County.
What is the County Seat of Macon County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Marion also, the county government website is www.maconnc.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Macon County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Swain County, Jackson County, Rabun County, Georgia, Clay County, Cherokee County, Graham County .
Macon County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Macon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Macon County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Macon County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Macon County clerk of court.
You can search online for Macon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Macon County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Macon County, NC Census Records
What Macon County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Macon Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Macon Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Macon County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Macon County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Macon County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Macon County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Macon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5 W Main St, Franklin, NC 28734
- Macon County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 828-349-2095
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1828
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1820
- Macon County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 828-349-2042
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1822
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Macon County Records
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Macon County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Macon County, NC?
A list of Macon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Macon Co Historical Society and Genealogical Society , 36 W Main Str, Franklin, NC 28734, 828-524-9758
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2122, Asheville, NC 28802-2122
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Macon County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Macon County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Macon County
- Macon County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Macon County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Macon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Macon Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Macon County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Macon Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Macon Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Macon County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Macon Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Macon Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Macon Co. NC General and History Websites
- Macon County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A History of Macon County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Macon County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Macon Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Macon County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Macon (cyndislist.com)
- Macon County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Macon Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Macon County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Macon County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Macon Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Macon Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Macon Co. D.O.T. Maps [Map 1] – [Map 2]
- Map of Macon County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Macon County Map (livgenmi.com)
Macon Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Macon Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Macon County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Macon Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)