OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
North Carolina History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Clay County, North Carolina History
When was Clay County, NC Created?
Clay County was created on February 20, 1861 from Cherokee County.
What is the County Seat of Clay County, NC?
The County Seat is located in Hayesville also, the county government website is www.clayconc.com/.
What counties are adjacent to Clay County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Macon County, Rabun County, Georgia, Towns County, Georgia, Union County, Georgia, Cherokee County.
Clay County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Clay County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clay County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Clay County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Clay County clerk of court.
You can search online for Clay County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Marriage Records
- Clay County, North Carolina Marriage Project
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Births & Deaths Records
- Social Security Death Index
- North Carolina, Birth Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
- North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
- North Carolina, Death Indexes, 1800-2000
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975
- North Carolina, Death Collection, 1908-2004
Clay County, NC Census Records
What Clay County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clay Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Clay County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Clay County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Clay County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clay County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Clay County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 261 Courthouse Drive, Hayesville, NC 28904
- Phone: (828) 389-8334
- Clay County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (828) 389-0087
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1870
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1845
- Clay County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (828) 389-8334
- Probate Records: 1862
- Court Records: 1868
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Clay County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Clay County Records
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Clay County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Clay County, NC?
A list of Clay County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2122, Asheville, NC 28802-2122
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Clay County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- North Carolina Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of North Carolina Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clay County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clay County
- Clay County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Clay County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clay County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Clay Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
- North Carolina Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- North Carolina historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 – 1977) (genealogybank.com)
- Clay County, North Carolina Books (amazon.com)
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Obituary Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Search North Carolina Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Clay Co. NC Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Clay Co., North Carolina Graves (findagrave.com)
- Clay County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Cemeteries & Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Clay Co., North Carolina Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Clay Co., North Carolina Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Clay County, North Carolina Church Books (amazon.com)
Clay Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Biographies & Collections (usgwarchives.net)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Clay Co. NC General and History Websites
- Clay County, North Carolina Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- North Carolina History: North Carolina Historical Overview (e-referencedesk.com)
- A History of Clay County, North Carolina (carolana.com)
- Clay County, North Carolina Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Clay Co. NC Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- North Carolina Digital Collections (digital.ncdcr.gov)
- Clay County, North Carolina (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – North Carolina – Counties – Clay (cyndislist.com)
- Clay County North Carolina (genealogytrails.com)
- Clay Co. NCGenweb (ncgenweb.us)
- Clay County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Clay County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clay Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Clay Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of North Carolina Links and Information
- Clay Co. D.O.T. Map
- Map of Clay County, NC Municipalities and Townships
- 1895 Clay County Map (livgenmi.com)
Clay Co. NC Military Records
- North Carolina Military Records Research Guide
- Clay Co., NC GenWeb Archives Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the North Carolina women and men who served. Perfect for Clay County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Clay Co. NC Schools & Directories
- North Carolina City Directories (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)