North Carolina History & Facts
Transylvania County, North Carolina History
What counties are adjacent to Transylvania County, NC?
Bordering Counties are Henderson County, Greenville County, South Carolina, Pickens County, South Carolina, Oconee County, South Carolina, Jackson County, Haywood County.
Transylvania County, NC Vital Records
Where can find Transylvania County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Transylvania County vital records can be found at the North Carolina Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process.
Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Transylvania County Register of Deeds (ROD) office. Divorce certificates may be obtained from the Transylvania County clerk of court.
You can search online for Transylvania County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for North Carolina Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Application to mail.
The North Carolina State Archives has the following vital records: Death Certificates, 1913-1975 (Statewide Index: 1913-1979); microfilmed Indexes to Births and Deaths (except Wake, Durham); Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 (not required by law); Cohabitation Records, 1866-1867; microfilmed Marriage Registers and Indexes; microfilmed Marriage Licenses for many of the counties See Also North Carolina Vital Records Research Guide
Transylvania County, NC Census Records
What Transylvania County, NC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules which can guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Transylvania Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Transylvania Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Transylvania Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also North Carolina Census Records Research Guide
Transylvania County, NC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Transylvania County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Transylvania County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless North Carolina residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Transylvania County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also North Carolina Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Transylvania County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 7 East Main St, Brevard, NC 28712
- Transylvania County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 828-884-3162
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records:1861
- Transylvania County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 828-884-3120
- Probate Records:1861
- Court Records:1861
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Transylvania County Records
- Transylvania Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Transylvania Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records
- Transylvania Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970
- BLM Land Records
Transylvania County, NC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Transylvania County, NC?
A list of Transylvania County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See also a list of Statewide North Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Transylvania Genealogical Society, 189 West Main St., P.O. Box 2347, Brevard, NC 28712; To contact TGS, call 828-884-2347
- Transylvania County Historical Society, Inc., P. O. Box 2061, Brevard, NC 28712
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2122, Asheville, NC 28802-2122
- North Carolina State Archives, Office of Archives and History—State Library Building; Public Services Branch, Mail Service Center 4614, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 ; Phone: (919) 807-7310
- State Library of North Carolina, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-2807; (919) 733-7222, (919) 733-3270
- North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 22, Greenville, NC 27835
Where can I connect with other Transylvania County, NC Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Transylvania County, NC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Transylvania County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.