South Carolina History & Facts
Marion County, South Carolina Facts
When was Marion County, SC Created?
Marion County was established on 1785 from Georgetown District (originally called Liberty County, it renamed and became a separate district in 1800).
Marion County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Marion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marion County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Marion County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Marion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Marion County, SC Census Records
What Marion County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marion Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marion County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marion County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Marion County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Probate and Clerk of Court records prior to about 1906 are now located in the Marion County Archives and History Center, 101 North Main St., Marion, SC.
- Marion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Marion County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 201 Court Street, Marion, South Carolina 29571
- Phone: 843-423-8244
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1790
- Marion County Clerk of Court
- Address: 100 West Court Street, Marion, South Carolina 29571
- Phone: 843-423-8240
- Land Records: 1800
- Court Records: 1800
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Marion County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marion County, SC?
A list of Marion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Marion County Archives and History Center, 101 North Main St., Marion, SC
- Marion County Historical Society, PO Box 7, Marion, SC 29571; phone: (843) 423-8299
- Marion County Museum, PO Box 220, Marion, SC 29571; phone: (843) 423-8299
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc., PO Box 1428, Marion, SC 29571-1428
- USGenWeb Archives for Marion County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Marion County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marion County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marion County
- Marion County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marion County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Marion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.